My sugar wash has turned to goo.
- G'Day .... I have been distilling for over 2 years and am now using
my 3rd. still, all built from info gained on these pages, Tony
Acklands site and Mike Nixons Book.
In that time and over a hundred litres of good spirit, I have had no
problems with the plain white sugar wash that I use. Untill now.
My process went like this
Day 1 . Sterilise/rinse fermenters (4 X 25 litre ) and gear.
Add 8 kg. sugar to each fermenter and half fill
with hot water. (from HW system)Top up with cold after dissolving
sugar. Temp in fermenters is about 34C.
Day 2 . Add 1 packet Tubo yeast to each and stir.
Day 3. Sit and watch waterlocks Bloop.
All is normal so far.
Day 4. Looked in at fermenters in the morning and found that 2 of
them were blooping normally but the other 2 had a thick slimy light
grey (almost white) goo bubbleing from the waterlocks and all over
shelf/floor etc. Sat down in shock/horror then emptied the offending
containers onto the garden.
Day 5 . Looked in on remaining 2 fermenters in the morning and,
Shock/ horror again, these both had the same thick gooey crap oozing
from the orifice. Retired to the office and poured a stiff whisky to
help me contemplate my past sins.
Can anyone please tell me what I have done wrong?
All suggestions gratefully received.
- My sympathies on your loss.
> Day 3. Sit and watch waterlocks Bloop....snip...
> All is normal so far.
> Day 4. Looked in at fermenters in the morning and found that 2 of
> them were blooping normally but the other 2 had a thick slimy light
> grey (almost white) goo bubbleing from the waterlocks and all over
> shelf/floor etc. Sat down in shock/horror then emptied the
>offending containers onto the garden. Day 5 . Looked in on remaining
>2 fermenters in the morning and, Shock/ horror again, these both had
>the same thick gooey crap oozing from the orifice. Retired to the
>office and poured a stiff whisky to
> help me contemplate my past sins.
> Can anyone please tell me what I have done wrong?
> All suggestions gratefully received.
Peter, I hope this reaches you before you dump the second and third
Were the fermenters almost full? If so, you may have perfectly good
wash that has a kreussen on top that had overflowed the fermenter.
The gray/tan/white color was the mixture of wash and yeast.
Did it smell 'off'? Did you taste it?
When I brew beer and use a 5 gallon fermenter with near 5 gallons in
it, it will almost always do this.
Always smell/taste before dumping.
> Day 1 . Sterilise/rinse fermenters (4 X 25 litre ) and gear.This is a fairly high pitching temperature!
> Add 8 kg. sugar to each fermenter and half fill
> with hot water. (from HW system)Top up with cold after dissolving
> sugar. Temp in fermenters is about 34C.
> Day 2 . Add 1 packet Tubo yeast to each and stir.Looks like a big fungus or mould in your fermenters or in the
As i understand this you don't invert the sugar? When i invert the
sugar, i pour it boiling in the fermenters, so they are sterilized
that moment. Furthermore: i don't sterilize the fermenters, never.
Just make sure to make a yeast-starter an pitch at high kraeusen. No
fungus will survive this amount of very active yeast, since yeast
fights for the sugar!
I eventually contacted Still Spirits about my failure with their
Turbo Extra and they replied as follows.........
Leuconostoc bacterium turning the fermenting wash to jelly.
Under certain conditions, the Leuconostoc bacterium, if present in a
produces a polysaccharide. The fermented wash becomes thick and
In extreme conditions the wash foams out of the fermenter. While it
is totally harmless, the contamination renders the wash useless for
the purpose of distillation.
This bacterium can live on surfaces within a brewing environment,
where there is a lot of repeat brewing, it is likely that this the
contamination. It is also possible that the bacterium is present in
and it is also possible that it is in the yeast sachet itself
testing has found no evidence of this to date.
The ideal environment for the yeast bacterium is a warm sugary
in nutrition, In this environment the bacterium will multiply
rapidly (as with all other bacterium)
An alcohol solution as weak as 5.O%a/v will inhibit the bacterium
from growing and chlorine based sterilisers will kill the bacterium,
virtually upon contact.
Even in the most sterile of brewing environment some bacteria will
present. It is therefore important for brewing success, that
fermentation starts as rapidly as possible.
This yeast strain has been selected for it's resistance to alcohol
which allows it to ferment out to a higher alcohol strength than
other strains of yeast.
Unfortunately, this yeast strain also has a long lag phase (is a
very slow starter). During this lag phase any bacterium present can
If you have experienced this infection lst. hand then we sugest you
try some of the following tips.
1. Change to a different yeast. All three of our other yeasts have
extremely short lag phases and can often be seen to start fermenting
within 15 minutes and rapidly start to produce alcohol so there is
no time for this bacterium to get established.
2. Clean and sterilise all equipment. Spray the room with a
and wipe down all areas with a chlorine based sterilizer.
3. Move the brewing equipment to a new location If possible.
4. Ensure you follow the correct mixing instructions.
We welcome feedback regarding incidences of this infection. Please
on technical@stillspirits com and title the email Turbo Extra.
I guess this explains it. I have changed yeast and every thing is
working fine now.
Thanx to the Still Spirits people and all those in this group for
the help given.
--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Prince" <pprince@w...>
> G'Day .... I have been distilling for over 2 years and am now