My sugar wash has turned to goo.

  • Peter Prince
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
      G'Day .... I have been distilling for over 2 years and am now using
      my 3rd. still, all built from info gained on these pages, Tony
      Acklands site and Mike Nixons Book.
      In that time and over a hundred litres of good spirit, I have had no
      problems with the plain white sugar wash that I use. Untill now.

      My process went like this

      Day 1 . Sterilise/rinse fermenters (4 X 25 litre ) and gear.
      Add 8 kg. sugar to each fermenter and half fill
      with hot water. (from HW system)Top up with cold after dissolving
      sugar. Temp in fermenters is about 34C.

      Day 2 . Add 1 packet Tubo yeast to each and stir.

      Day 3. Sit and watch waterlocks Bloop.
      All is normal so far.

      Day 4. Looked in at fermenters in the morning and found that 2 of
      them were blooping normally but the other 2 had a thick slimy light
      grey (almost white) goo bubbleing from the waterlocks and all over
      shelf/floor etc. Sat down in shock/horror then emptied the offending
      containers onto the garden.

      Day 5 . Looked in on remaining 2 fermenters in the morning and,
      Shock/ horror again, these both had the same thick gooey crap oozing
      from the orifice. Retired to the office and poured a stiff whisky to
      help me contemplate my past sins.

      Can anyone please tell me what I have done wrong?

      All suggestions gratefully received.

      Peter
    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
        My sympathies on your loss.
        ...snip...

        > Day 3. Sit and watch waterlocks Bloop.
        > All is normal so far.
        >
        > Day 4. Looked in at fermenters in the morning and found that 2 of
        > them were blooping normally but the other 2 had a thick slimy light
        > grey (almost white) goo bubbleing from the waterlocks and all over
        > shelf/floor etc. Sat down in shock/horror then emptied the
        >offending containers onto the garden. Day 5 . Looked in on remaining
        >2 fermenters in the morning and, Shock/ horror again, these both had
        >the same thick gooey crap oozing from the orifice. Retired to the
        >office and poured a stiff whisky to
        > help me contemplate my past sins.
        >
        > Can anyone please tell me what I have done wrong?
        >
        > All suggestions gratefully received.
        >
        > Peter
        ...snip...

        Peter, I hope this reaches you before you dump the second and third
        fementers.

        Were the fermenters almost full? If so, you may have perfectly good
        wash that has a kreussen on top that had overflowed the fermenter.
        The gray/tan/white color was the mixture of wash and yeast.

        Did it smell 'off'? Did you taste it?

        When I brew beer and use a 5 gallon fermenter with near 5 gallons in
        it, it will almost always do this.

        Always smell/taste before dumping.

        Best wishes.

        Sven
      • rutger amons
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
          > Day 1 . Sterilise/rinse fermenters (4 X 25 litre ) and gear.
          > Add 8 kg. sugar to each fermenter and half fill
          > with hot water. (from HW system)Top up with cold after dissolving
          > sugar. Temp in fermenters is about 34C.

          This is a fairly high pitching temperature!

          > Day 2 . Add 1 packet Tubo yeast to each and stir.

          Looks like a big fungus or mould in your fermenters or in the
          surrounding air.
          As i understand this you don't invert the sugar? When i invert the
          sugar, i pour it boiling in the fermenters, so they are sterilized
          that moment. Furthermore: i don't sterilize the fermenters, never.
          Just make sure to make a yeast-starter an pitch at high kraeusen. No
          fungus will survive this amount of very active yeast, since yeast
          fights for the sugar!

          Rutger
        • Peter Prince
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2004
            G'Day.
            I eventually contacted Still Spirits about my failure with their
            Turbo Extra and they replied as follows.........

            Leuconostoc bacterium turning the fermenting wash to jelly.

            Symptom;

            Under certain conditions, the Leuconostoc bacterium, if present in a
            wash
            produces a polysaccharide. The fermented wash becomes thick and
            jellylike.
            In extreme conditions the wash foams out of the fermenter. While it
            is totally harmless, the contamination renders the wash useless for
            the purpose of distillation.

            This bacterium can live on surfaces within a brewing environment,
            especially
            where there is a lot of repeat brewing, it is likely that this the
            source of
            contamination. It is also possible that the bacterium is present in
            the water
            and it is also possible that it is in the yeast sachet itself
            although extensive
            testing has found no evidence of this to date.

            The ideal environment for the yeast bacterium is a warm sugary
            mixture rich
            in nutrition, In this environment the bacterium will multiply
            rapidly (as with all other bacterium)
            An alcohol solution as weak as 5.O%a/v will inhibit the bacterium
            from growing and chlorine based sterilisers will kill the bacterium,
            virtually upon contact.

            Even in the most sterile of brewing environment some bacteria will
            be
            present. It is therefore important for brewing success, that
            fermentation starts as rapidly as possible.

            Turbo Extra.

            This yeast strain has been selected for it's resistance to alcohol
            which allows it to ferment out to a higher alcohol strength than
            other strains of yeast.
            Unfortunately, this yeast strain also has a long lag phase (is a
            very slow starter). During this lag phase any bacterium present can
            multiply rapidly.

            If you have experienced this infection lst. hand then we sugest you
            try some of the following tips.

            1. Change to a different yeast. All three of our other yeasts have
            extremely short lag phases and can often be seen to start fermenting
            within 15 minutes and rapidly start to produce alcohol so there is
            no time for this bacterium to get established.

            2. Clean and sterilise all equipment. Spray the room with a
            disinfectant
            and wipe down all areas with a chlorine based sterilizer.

            3. Move the brewing equipment to a new location If possible.

            4. Ensure you follow the correct mixing instructions.

            We welcome feedback regarding incidences of this infection. Please
            email us
            on technical@stillspirits com and title the email Turbo Extra.

            I guess this explains it. I have changed yeast and every thing is
            working fine now.

            Thanx to the Still Spirits people and all those in this group for
            the help given.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Prince" <pprince@w...>