Sutronics burst fire controller

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hi all.
      Anybody else have a sutronics burst fire controller?
      If you do I would be interested to hear how you set it up physically and safely to run. I have a sparky to wire it up for me but want to make it small, compact, easy and not cost more than a hundred dollars.
      Photos would be appreciated even more.
      Cheers,
      Leigh
    • John Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
        G'day Leigh
        At the risk of putting my foot in it again === assuming that you would
        want to set up the controller to handle it's max capacity of 3kW, a heat
        sink 170 x170 x 3 mm aluminium panel is required through which it is
        centrally mounted. (70 x 70 for 1kW and 100 x 100 for 2kW) So a box of
        that size about 65 mm deep is needed with a power in lead one side and power
        out socket on the opposite side. I set mine up with wooden bottom and sides
        with 2 power out sockets because one of my boilers has two 1150w elements
        and I am able to run both elements at the same time thru the controller. A
        sparky would wire it up very easily. Cost of the controller was 30.46
        pounds uk plus postage and card charges--- it comes with instructions.
        Product No BFM240-13 (240 volt version)

        John

        > Anybody else have a sutronics burst fire controller?
        > If you do I would be interested to hear how you set it up physically and
        safely to run. I have a sparky to wire it up for me but want to make it
        small, compact, easy and not cost more than a hundred dollars.
        > Photos would be appreciated even more.
        > Cheers,
        > Leigh

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jestah_nz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
          Hi

          > Anybody else have a sutronics burst fire controller?

          I dont have one but have just been told by dark taet that it is
          basicly and extention cord split in the middle the controller is
          wired in the middle in a metal box

          >want to make it small, compact, easy

          yes

          and not cost more than a hundred dollars

          I think it will cost about that 80 for the unit and 20 for the cord
          and box

          if you want to go elcheepo (as i have) use 2 elements say a 100Kw
          and a 2000 and makeing a system so you can run them in series then
          you can run at 3000kw (both pluged in to wall socket) 1000 and 2000
          one pluged in to wall or both in series (you can cut up a 4 way plug
          to do this but get rid of the quick blow fuse) give about 750Kw. I
          know the complet distiller had plans for the above set up as well as
          using switches

          the controller is good for fine controll but sofar i have had MORE
          than enough control with my 4 settings (but i do plan to get a
          contorller soon :)

          good luck
          Jestah
        • mr_ethanol2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
            Hi,

            I use the Sutronics controller.

            I mounted it in an aluminium case bought from a electronics hobbyist
            store. The case needs to be made of a good thermal conductor because
            it carries heat away from the module face plate (Acts as a
            heatsink). Don't try to make the box too small as the surface area
            will not be adequate to dissapate the heat generated. I have a
            fairly large box but it still gets quite hot on full load.

            The connections are made on the back of the controller block via
            screw terminals. The connections are as follows:

            Live in
            Neutral in
            Live out
            Neutral out
            Earth

            Use cable glands in and out of the box to protect the cable and
            prevent it pulling out. As mentioned elsewhere, splice it into the
            middle of a 13amp extension lead to simplify external connections. I
            made mine in 40 minutes start to finish and it cost approx 80 USD.

            IMPORTANT: You MUST ensure that mains earth is conected to the case.
            Do not rely on it earthing thru the control module alone.

            This is an excellent module that has proved reliable and gives very
            fine control over power levels. If you require specific information
            just ask..

            Hope this helps,

            Cheers,

            Andy.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
            <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
            > Hi all.
            > Anybody else have a sutronics burst fire controller?
            > If you do I would be interested to hear how you set it up
            physically and safely to run. I have a sparky to wire it up for me
            but want to make it small, compact, easy and not cost more than a
            hundred dollars.
            > Photos would be appreciated even more.
            > Cheers,
            > Leigh
          • mr_ethanol2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
              By the way Leigh,

              If you want me to send you a photo of the unit, let me know...