Re: oak aging

  • tmdellinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, K&J <macandjo@p...> wrote:
      > My still
      > produces good clean alcohol at 95 ABV% and wonder if the extraction
      of
      > the
      > Oak flavours would be better and come out quicker at higher Abv's
      and
      > if I
      > did increase ABV should I amend the Oak quantities on a pro rata
      > basis,
      > considering that my quantities is based on 40%ABV?

      I posted a summary of Piggot et. al.'s take on this question
      back in Nov '03 (message #16392) from the book The Science
      and Technology of Whiskies.

      "...an ethanol content of around 60% is the most effective
      concentration for taking the extracts from oak wood into sprits."

      The 60% figure is a balance between the need for water (which
      speeds up the breakdown of wood) and ethanol (which increases
      the solubility of these breakdown products). Also, note that
      the taste will be different depending on aging proof. So the
      fastest extraction might not neccessarily be the tastiest.

      Tim Dellinger
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
        what's the best way to age spirit on toasted oak chips?
      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
          NOT the best way but this works for me...:>)
          Dilute ,carbon treat and filter distillate if desired/needed....place
          distillate in a container along with the Oak....how much you use will be a
          matter of personal preference.....IMPO,non-toasted Oak gives a more mellow
          flavor but,again,thats just my opinion....dont treat all your distillate at
          once....if you get it too 'dark' (for lack of better term) you can add
          un-treated distillate to 'lighten' it up.....from my experience,a little
          goes a long way.(1/4- cup per 5-6 gallons is a reasonable starting
          point)..you can always add more...experiment to 'zero in' on what you
          like...keep notes,unless your memory is better than mine...good luck...:>)