Re: oak aging

  • tmdellinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, K&J <macandjo@p...> wrote:
      > My still
      > produces good clean alcohol at 95 ABV% and wonder if the extraction
      of
      > the
      > Oak flavours would be better and come out quicker at higher Abv's
      and
      > if I
      > did increase ABV should I amend the Oak quantities on a pro rata
      > basis,
      > considering that my quantities is based on 40%ABV?

      I posted a summary of Piggot et. al.'s take on this question
      back in Nov '03 (message #16392) from the book The Science
      and Technology of Whiskies.

      "...an ethanol content of around 60% is the most effective
      concentration for taking the extracts from oak wood into sprits."

      The 60% figure is a balance between the need for water (which
      speeds up the breakdown of wood) and ethanol (which increases
      the solubility of these breakdown products). Also, note that
      the taste will be different depending on aging proof. So the
      fastest extraction might not neccessarily be the tastiest.

      Tim Dellinger
    • K&J
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
        A question for Héctor Landaeta.

        (also anyone else in the group who would like to comment)

        Hector I was reading a previous posting you had on Oaking ( and have
        downloaded a PDF on the subject)and wish to ask you what you would consider
        the best ABV% to do your Oak aging at .

        For my whiskey I usually cut to 40%ABV and add 1 teaspoon of Toasted Oak
        chips and 4 teaspoons of virgin oak saw dust per litre of alcohol and soak
        for at least 6 weeks( Shaking the container each day to keep it all in
        solution and keep the air in it), filter then add flavourings.My still
        produces good clean alcohol at 95 ABV% and wonder if the extraction of the
        Oak flavours would be better and come out quicker at higher Abv's and if I
        did increase ABV should I amend the Oak quantities on a pro rata basis,
        considering that my quantities is based on 40%ABV?

        Yours opinion would be appreciated...

        Cheers
        Ken Mc

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
          what's the best way to age spirit on toasted oak chips?
        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
            NOT the best way but this works for me...:>)
            Dilute ,carbon treat and filter distillate if desired/needed....place
            distillate in a container along with the Oak....how much you use will be a
            matter of personal preference.....IMPO,non-toasted Oak gives a more mellow
            flavor but,again,thats just my opinion....dont treat all your distillate at
            once....if you get it too 'dark' (for lack of better term) you can add
            un-treated distillate to 'lighten' it up.....from my experience,a little
            goes a long way.(1/4- cup per 5-6 gallons is a reasonable starting
            point)..you can always add more...experiment to 'zero in' on what you
            like...keep notes,unless your memory is better than mine...good luck...:>)