Re: An update on the new Alcotec "Pot Still Turbo"

  • random9988
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "carl_giljam" <carl-yahoo@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      > Thank you all who helped us with the testing of the prototype. We
      are
      > now launching the product under the name Alcotec VodkaStar Turbo.
      Have
      > a look at the design at: www.turbo-yeast.biz.
      >
      > For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about; We asked in
      the
      > distillers group some time ago if anyone wanted to test a new
      Alcotec
      > Turbo (prototype) and we got some very dedicated testers to try in
      > different environments - a good help when deciding whether to
      launch
      > it or not.
      >
      > We estimate to have the first turbo's produced within 6-8 weeks,
      i.e.
      > end April or beginning May. Then of course depending on where you
      are
      > it will take some more time to get to the shops there.
      >
      > I took the liberty of putting a few snippets of your comments on
      our
      > website above as quotes (with your first name only) - I hope that
      was
      > ok or else give me a shout.
      >
      > Best from,
      > Carl Giljam
      > Hambleton Bard UK Ltd (producers of the Alcotec turbo's)

      Those that haven't tried this yeast should do it. It's very good, as
      I see it it doesn't matter if you have a good still with column or
      not, give it a try and skip stripping run just to see the quality.
      If time isn't an issue it definitly worth to use this yeast.

      What about Scandinavia Carl, will it be sold there?
      (btw the reply from you was an empty message when I mailed you)

      //Johan
    • Hector A. Landaeta C.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        On 3/2/04 2:31 AM, "compatta" <compatta@...> wrote:

        > 1. for the process of drying ethanol with corn grits, do you
        > supposed to pass the ethanol vapors though the corn grits bed or do
        > you supposed to put the liquid ethanol into the corn grits bed and
        > wait for the water to absorb.
        >
        > 2. about homedistillers.org. you said something about sodium
        > carbonate having the ability to "absorb water" from ethanol.
        > according to what i've read. shouldn't nac03 explode when it
        > contacts water? especially in this type of solution, i am a bit
        > worried doing such a process. i'm not sure about this but i'd like
        > to ask anyways.

        Hola Compatta!
        I have a friend who had a small reagent producing lab and he¹s told me some
        things about the process. He started with 96% ABV industrial ethanol which
        he re-distilled in a high and wide column (4 inch x 6 meters) filled with
        high HETP packing (Raschig rings) to try and reduce water content at least
        to 97%. Just that percent point merits that effort because it¹s a
        relatively cheap way to achieve it, and that is also the limit of physical
        methods of ethanol purification, all the following steps are chemical in
        nature. He then he places this in a long column filled with silica gel which
        raises the purity to 97.5-98% before pouring this in a similar column filled
        with sodium which again is similarly effective, just a 0.5-0.7% gain in
        purity. This is then mixed with high purity (anhydride) ether, if I
        remember right, because the ether-water bond is stronger than the ethanol
        one and there is the bonus of a widely separated boiling point between them.
        The next step is a plain distilling where the water-ether mix is separated
        from the ethanol which ends with a purity ranging from 99.6 to 99.8%.
        Supposedly it¹s impossible to achieve a 100% purity in ethanol. What I
        remember well is he telling me that he multiplied by 100 the cost of the
        original (96%) ethanol and that¹s what he charged the customers of his
        reagent grade ethanol. Of corn grits I have heard nothing. Hope this
        helped.
        Salud!
        --
        Hector Landaeta.
        Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

      • carl_giljam
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2004
          Hi!
          Sorry, haven't logged on to this group for a while...late reply.

          Scandinavia... a large market for large scale fermentations, high
          alcohol, high yield, pro's. Don't think the new slow fermenting very
          pure turbo (now named Alcotec VodkaStar, sachets not back from
          printers yet but soon out) will be a big hit there.
          We will stock it in the UK (www.hambletonbard.com) and bring in a few
          to Sweden (Vinland) if any demand. I would expect this to be of most
          interest to Australia, NZ, US etc, where there are more dedicated
          hobbyists. We'll see.

          Best from,
          Carl