An update on the new Alcotec "Pot Still Turbo"

  • carl_giljam
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2 1:49 AM
      Hi,
      Thank you all who helped us with the testing of the prototype. We are
      now launching the product under the name Alcotec VodkaStar Turbo. Have
      a look at the design at: www.turbo-yeast.biz.

      For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about; We asked in the
      distillers group some time ago if anyone wanted to test a new Alcotec
      Turbo (prototype) and we got some very dedicated testers to try in
      different environments - a good help when deciding whether to launch
      it or not.

      We estimate to have the first turbo's produced within 6-8 weeks, i.e.
      end April or beginning May. Then of course depending on where you are
      it will take some more time to get to the shops there.

      I took the liberty of putting a few snippets of your comments on our
      website above as quotes (with your first name only) - I hope that was
      ok or else give me a shout.

      Best from,
      Carl Giljam
      Hambleton Bard UK Ltd (producers of the Alcotec turbo's)
    • dark_taet
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 2:01 AM
        Well, i'm excited....!

        I am a long time customer of the Alcotec 8 product and have taken
        to "stretching" it out to 50L with 16kg of sugar.. (i add an small
        tub of tomato paste as extra nutrient)

        Can you tell me if the Vodka star will handle the same treatment..?

        Matt
      • random9988
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 6:39 AM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "carl_giljam" <carl-yahoo@h...>
          wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Thank you all who helped us with the testing of the prototype. We
          are
          > now launching the product under the name Alcotec VodkaStar Turbo.
          Have
          > a look at the design at: www.turbo-yeast.biz.
          >
          > For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about; We asked in
          the
          > distillers group some time ago if anyone wanted to test a new
          Alcotec
          > Turbo (prototype) and we got some very dedicated testers to try in
          > different environments - a good help when deciding whether to
          launch
          > it or not.
          >
          > We estimate to have the first turbo's produced within 6-8 weeks,
          i.e.
          > end April or beginning May. Then of course depending on where you
          are
          > it will take some more time to get to the shops there.
          >
          > I took the liberty of putting a few snippets of your comments on
          our
          > website above as quotes (with your first name only) - I hope that
          was
          > ok or else give me a shout.
          >
          > Best from,
          > Carl Giljam
          > Hambleton Bard UK Ltd (producers of the Alcotec turbo's)

          Those that haven't tried this yeast should do it. It's very good, as
          I see it it doesn't matter if you have a good still with column or
          not, give it a try and skip stripping run just to see the quality.
          If time isn't an issue it definitly worth to use this yeast.

          What about Scandinavia Carl, will it be sold there?
          (btw the reply from you was an empty message when I mailed you)

          //Johan
        • Hector A. Landaeta C.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 7:22 PM
            On 3/2/04 2:31 AM, "compatta" <compatta@...> wrote:

            > 1. for the process of drying ethanol with corn grits, do you
            > supposed to pass the ethanol vapors though the corn grits bed or do
            > you supposed to put the liquid ethanol into the corn grits bed and
            > wait for the water to absorb.
            >
            > 2. about homedistillers.org. you said something about sodium
            > carbonate having the ability to "absorb water" from ethanol.
            > according to what i've read. shouldn't nac03 explode when it
            > contacts water? especially in this type of solution, i am a bit
            > worried doing such a process. i'm not sure about this but i'd like
            > to ask anyways.

            Hola Compatta!
            I have a friend who had a small reagent producing lab and he¹s told me some
            things about the process. He started with 96% ABV industrial ethanol which
            he re-distilled in a high and wide column (4 inch x 6 meters) filled with
            high HETP packing (Raschig rings) to try and reduce water content at least
            to 97%. Just that percent point merits that effort because it¹s a
            relatively cheap way to achieve it, and that is also the limit of physical
            methods of ethanol purification, all the following steps are chemical in
            nature. He then he places this in a long column filled with silica gel which
            raises the purity to 97.5-98% before pouring this in a similar column filled
            with sodium which again is similarly effective, just a 0.5-0.7% gain in
            purity. This is then mixed with high purity (anhydride) ether, if I
            remember right, because the ether-water bond is stronger than the ethanol
            one and there is the bonus of a widely separated boiling point between them.
            The next step is a plain distilling where the water-ether mix is separated
            from the ethanol which ends with a purity ranging from 99.6 to 99.8%.
            Supposedly it¹s impossible to achieve a 100% purity in ethanol. What I
            remember well is he telling me that he multiplied by 100 the cost of the
            original (96%) ethanol and that¹s what he charged the customers of his
            reagent grade ethanol. Of corn grits I have heard nothing. Hope this
            helped.
            Salud!
            --
            Hector Landaeta.
            Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

          • carl_giljam
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22 10:49 PM
              Hi!
              Sorry, haven't logged on to this group for a while...late reply.

              Scandinavia... a large market for large scale fermentations, high
              alcohol, high yield, pro's. Don't think the new slow fermenting very
              pure turbo (now named Alcotec VodkaStar, sachets not back from
              printers yet but soon out) will be a big hit there.
              We will stock it in the UK (www.hambletonbard.com) and bring in a few
              to Sweden (Vinland) if any demand. I would expect this to be of most
              interest to Australia, NZ, US etc, where there are more dedicated
              hobbyists. We'll see.

              Best from,
              Carl