Re: questions about drying ethanol

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 11:39 PM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "compatta" <compatta@y...> wrote:
      > i am relatively new to this all and stuffs. but i am a student
      doing
      > a science fair project about doing ethanol and i had these
      questions
      > to ask.
      >
      > 1. for the process of drying ethanol with corn grits, do you
      > supposed to pass the ethanol vapors though the corn grits bed or
      do
      > you supposed to put the liquid ethanol into the corn grits bed and
      > wait for the water to absorb.
      >
      > 2. about homedistillers.org. you said something about sodium
      > carbonate having the ability to "absorb water" from ethanol.
      > according to what i've read. shouldn't nac03 explode when it
      > contacts water? especially in this type of solution, i am a bit
      > worried doing such a process. i'm not sure about this but i'd like
      > to ask anyways.
      >
      > thanks you in advance to whoever answers this

      Hi,
      I believe both processes have been tried with corn grits, but the
      most success is had using the vapors. Professor Michael Ladisch at
      Purdue University heads a team who have perfected a method. They're
      the world's foremost experts in the field. There's a wealth of info
      by Prof. Ladisch & others downloadable in pdf format directly from
      the Uni.
      http://tinyurl.com/2nm6d

      As to the bicarb exploding, it would first need to be converted to
      Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) by reacting with Nitric Acid.
      Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) and Sodium Bi-Carbonate (NaHCO3) are both
      soluble in water.

      HTH
    • carl_giljam
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 1:49 AM
        Hi,
        Thank you all who helped us with the testing of the prototype. We are
        now launching the product under the name Alcotec VodkaStar Turbo. Have
        a look at the design at: www.turbo-yeast.biz.

        For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about; We asked in the
        distillers group some time ago if anyone wanted to test a new Alcotec
        Turbo (prototype) and we got some very dedicated testers to try in
        different environments - a good help when deciding whether to launch
        it or not.

        We estimate to have the first turbo's produced within 6-8 weeks, i.e.
        end April or beginning May. Then of course depending on where you are
        it will take some more time to get to the shops there.

        I took the liberty of putting a few snippets of your comments on our
        website above as quotes (with your first name only) - I hope that was
        ok or else give me a shout.

        Best from,
        Carl Giljam
        Hambleton Bard UK Ltd (producers of the Alcotec turbo's)
      • dark_taet
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 2:01 AM
          Well, i'm excited....!

          I am a long time customer of the Alcotec 8 product and have taken
          to "stretching" it out to 50L with 16kg of sugar.. (i add an small
          tub of tomato paste as extra nutrient)

          Can you tell me if the Vodka star will handle the same treatment..?

          Matt
        • random9988
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2 6:39 AM
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "carl_giljam" <carl-yahoo@h...>
            wrote:
            > Hi,
            > Thank you all who helped us with the testing of the prototype. We
            are
            > now launching the product under the name Alcotec VodkaStar Turbo.
            Have
            > a look at the design at: www.turbo-yeast.biz.
            >
            > For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about; We asked in
            the
            > distillers group some time ago if anyone wanted to test a new
            Alcotec
            > Turbo (prototype) and we got some very dedicated testers to try in
            > different environments - a good help when deciding whether to
            launch
            > it or not.
            >
            > We estimate to have the first turbo's produced within 6-8 weeks,
            i.e.
            > end April or beginning May. Then of course depending on where you
            are
            > it will take some more time to get to the shops there.
            >
            > I took the liberty of putting a few snippets of your comments on
            our
            > website above as quotes (with your first name only) - I hope that
            was
            > ok or else give me a shout.
            >
            > Best from,
            > Carl Giljam
            > Hambleton Bard UK Ltd (producers of the Alcotec turbo's)

            Those that haven't tried this yeast should do it. It's very good, as
            I see it it doesn't matter if you have a good still with column or
            not, give it a try and skip stripping run just to see the quality.
            If time isn't an issue it definitly worth to use this yeast.

            What about Scandinavia Carl, will it be sold there?
            (btw the reply from you was an empty message when I mailed you)

            //Johan
          • Hector A. Landaeta C.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3 7:22 PM
              On 3/2/04 2:31 AM, "compatta" <compatta@...> wrote:

              > 1. for the process of drying ethanol with corn grits, do you
              > supposed to pass the ethanol vapors though the corn grits bed or do
              > you supposed to put the liquid ethanol into the corn grits bed and
              > wait for the water to absorb.
              >
              > 2. about homedistillers.org. you said something about sodium
              > carbonate having the ability to "absorb water" from ethanol.
              > according to what i've read. shouldn't nac03 explode when it
              > contacts water? especially in this type of solution, i am a bit
              > worried doing such a process. i'm not sure about this but i'd like
              > to ask anyways.

              Hola Compatta!
              I have a friend who had a small reagent producing lab and he¹s told me some
              things about the process. He started with 96% ABV industrial ethanol which
              he re-distilled in a high and wide column (4 inch x 6 meters) filled with
              high HETP packing (Raschig rings) to try and reduce water content at least
              to 97%. Just that percent point merits that effort because it¹s a
              relatively cheap way to achieve it, and that is also the limit of physical
              methods of ethanol purification, all the following steps are chemical in
              nature. He then he places this in a long column filled with silica gel which
              raises the purity to 97.5-98% before pouring this in a similar column filled
              with sodium which again is similarly effective, just a 0.5-0.7% gain in
              purity. This is then mixed with high purity (anhydride) ether, if I
              remember right, because the ether-water bond is stronger than the ethanol
              one and there is the bonus of a widely separated boiling point between them.
              The next step is a plain distilling where the water-ether mix is separated
              from the ethanol which ends with a purity ranging from 99.6 to 99.8%.
              Supposedly it¹s impossible to achieve a 100% purity in ethanol. What I
              remember well is he telling me that he multiplied by 100 the cost of the
              original (96%) ethanol and that¹s what he charged the customers of his
              reagent grade ethanol. Of corn grits I have heard nothing. Hope this
              helped.
              Salud!
              --
              Hector Landaeta.
              Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

            • carl_giljam
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22 10:49 PM
                Hi!
                Sorry, haven't logged on to this group for a while...late reply.

                Scandinavia... a large market for large scale fermentations, high
                alcohol, high yield, pro's. Don't think the new slow fermenting very
                pure turbo (now named Alcotec VodkaStar, sachets not back from
                printers yet but soon out) will be a big hit there.
                We will stock it in the UK (www.hambletonbard.com) and bring in a few
                to Sweden (Vinland) if any demand. I would expect this to be of most
                interest to Australia, NZ, US etc, where there are more dedicated
                hobbyists. We'll see.

                Best from,
                Carl