Re: Here's the condensor pics ....ATTN : Derek

  • Grayson Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      >>If you did not describe your winding method, perhaps you could do
      so.

      Take a 20 foot segment of tubing and completly fill with salt. This
      requires using a small funnel and tapping the tubing as you fill. I
      worked from each end and placed tape over the end not being filled
      at the moment.

      I left a two foot long segment of the tubing uncoiled and taped it
      parallel to the broom stick. This gave me leverage to begin my
      coils and a segment with plenty of length for plumbing up the water
      later. The two foot segment will be the "top" of the condensor, and
      I wound "down" the broomstick....away from the 2 foot long straight
      piece.

      Using the formula for a circle perimeter ( 3.14 times the centerline
      diamter of the coil ) I was able to estimate the length of the
      tubing that I would use going "down" the broomstick and this being
      where I would begin forming the coils back "up" the broomstick.
      Just remember the centerline diamter of the second row of coils will
      be greater than the inner row of coils. My condensor doesn't come
      all the way back to the beginning point, but I chose to do that so I
      could pack a scrubber around the outside of the coils and one down
      the center of the coil to condense any vapor that may try to pass.

      With the two foot of tubing taped to the broom stick, carefully
      begin twisting the tubing around the broom stick going "down". I
      heated the tubing with a propane torch to soften and allow the coils
      to be made a little easier.

      I only heated about a foot of the tubing at a time. As soon as that
      one foot is heated (about a 30 to 45 seconds) I began to make the
      coils. Only forming coils with the length that was heated.

      I used a leather welders glove and would press or force the tubing
      around the broom stick holding the tubing near the broomstick. It
      gets a little warm even with a glove but not too hot to handle.

      After one or two coils are made I would heat up the next one foot
      segment and form more coils. Continue this till you reach your
      return marker that was placed using the formula above.

      Repeat back up the coils already made leaving enough length of
      straight tubing to plumb up the condensor later. Hint: I left the
      salt in the tubing after forming all my coils so I still had the
      benefit of that packing in forming any additional bends I needed
      after placing my 2" cap on.

      Hope this helps!