RE: [Distillers] Hard Maple charcoal, filtering? Aging?

  • Frederick Christiansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Danev2, Jack Daniels uses the Maple charcoal process to mellow their raw 140
      proof alcohol. It is their belief that by running the alcohol slowly through
      the charcoal it pulls some of the Maple sugars from the charcoal and
      deposits some of the harshness to the charcoal. It is this process that
      distinguishes Jack Daniels as a Tennessee Whiskey. Daniels uses vats about
      eight feet across and about ten feet deep, filled with their homemade Maple
      charcoal. The alcohol is dripped into the vats and it takes approximately
      four days for the alcohol to make it way from top to bottom. The end product
      is then stored in charred oak barrels and ages for about six years. I have
      seen posts referring to aging in barrels made from other charred woods
      indigenes too their respective countries. - Derf