Hard Maple charcoal, filtering? Aging?

  • danev2
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      I have seen references to the use of hard Maple charcoal for aging
      whishey. Seem to be a North Eastern US practice
      Here in the InterMountain West (Utah) I am haveing a hard time
      finding any Hard Maple wood. Just Soft western Maple
      IS there any difference?
      And are the spirits aged in the wood like oak is or just filtered

      Thanks

      Dane V
    • Frederick Christiansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Danev2, Jack Daniels uses the Maple charcoal process to mellow their raw 140
        proof alcohol. It is their belief that by running the alcohol slowly through
        the charcoal it pulls some of the Maple sugars from the charcoal and
        deposits some of the harshness to the charcoal. It is this process that
        distinguishes Jack Daniels as a Tennessee Whiskey. Daniels uses vats about
        eight feet across and about ten feet deep, filled with their homemade Maple
        charcoal. The alcohol is dripped into the vats and it takes approximately
        four days for the alcohol to make it way from top to bottom. The end product
        is then stored in charred oak barrels and ages for about six years. I have
        seen posts referring to aging in barrels made from other charred woods
        indigenes too their respective countries. - Derf