Re: [Distillers] Re: Thanks Harry...Here's the condensor pics

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Very nice indeed. If I missed the note describing your technique could you
      repost. If you did not describe your winding method, perhaps you could do so.
      Thanks
      At 11:38 PM 29/02/2004, you wrote:
      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Grayson Stewart"
      ><grayson_stewart66@y...> wrote:
      > > Thanks Harry. I did have the pics on the free yahoo briefcase
      > > file. Used your idea about geocities to get these up today.
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/33be3
      >

      >Very nice work indeed.

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • Grayson Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        >>If you did not describe your winding method, perhaps you could do
        so.

        Take a 20 foot segment of tubing and completly fill with salt. This
        requires using a small funnel and tapping the tubing as you fill. I
        worked from each end and placed tape over the end not being filled
        at the moment.

        I left a two foot long segment of the tubing uncoiled and taped it
        parallel to the broom stick. This gave me leverage to begin my
        coils and a segment with plenty of length for plumbing up the water
        later. The two foot segment will be the "top" of the condensor, and
        I wound "down" the broomstick....away from the 2 foot long straight
        piece.

        Using the formula for a circle perimeter ( 3.14 times the centerline
        diamter of the coil ) I was able to estimate the length of the
        tubing that I would use going "down" the broomstick and this being
        where I would begin forming the coils back "up" the broomstick.
        Just remember the centerline diamter of the second row of coils will
        be greater than the inner row of coils. My condensor doesn't come
        all the way back to the beginning point, but I chose to do that so I
        could pack a scrubber around the outside of the coils and one down
        the center of the coil to condense any vapor that may try to pass.

        With the two foot of tubing taped to the broom stick, carefully
        begin twisting the tubing around the broom stick going "down". I
        heated the tubing with a propane torch to soften and allow the coils
        to be made a little easier.

        I only heated about a foot of the tubing at a time. As soon as that
        one foot is heated (about a 30 to 45 seconds) I began to make the
        coils. Only forming coils with the length that was heated.

        I used a leather welders glove and would press or force the tubing
        around the broom stick holding the tubing near the broomstick. It
        gets a little warm even with a glove but not too hot to handle.

        After one or two coils are made I would heat up the next one foot
        segment and form more coils. Continue this till you reach your
        return marker that was placed using the formula above.

        Repeat back up the coils already made leaving enough length of
        straight tubing to plumb up the condensor later. Hint: I left the
        salt in the tubing after forming all my coils so I still had the
        benefit of that packing in forming any additional bends I needed
        after placing my 2" cap on.

        Hope this helps!