Re: bending copper tubing

  • Grayson Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 8:21 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, stephen gardipee
      <startingstill@y...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have any simple, yet specific information on annealing
      copper tubing.

      With alot of help, I just recently got the pictures of my condensor
      loaded up in the photo section under grayson_stewart.

      After wasting several lengths of tubing I finally followed the
      advice I had been given and filled the tubing with salt. It takes a
      little time to make sure it is completley filled but well worth the
      effort. Nobody wants a flat kink halfway through a perfect
      condensor! I then heated the tubing as I twisted it around a broom
      handle.

      I simply heated my salt filled tubing with a propane torch. Placed
      hottest part of the flame (blue tip) along the straight tubing
      closest to the broom handle and ran it over a segment about 8 to 10
      inches. Needless to say, you will want leather gloves while doing
      this.

      True annealing is when heat is applied to the metal to remove any
      cold hardening and realign the microscopic lattice structure of the
      metal making the metal more mallable. What I was doing with the
      propane torch is simply softening the metal to make it easier to
      bend. Making it easier to bend gives you more control in making
      tight coils.

      Now when I say softening, it definately isn't going to become limp -
      but it will be easier to form the tight coils required. I still
      took a break every ten coils or so to rest my forearms.

      Copper is a great conductor and readily dissipates the heat, so I
      only heated enough of the material to form two or three coils that
      you can see in the pictures and then reheated another short segment
      to continue making more coils.

      Just as with anything else, you will need to play with it to get a
      feel for the way it should work. If it's still too difficult to
      form, heat a little longer or try heating a smaller portion and only
      work one coil, then repeat for another coil.

      I seriously doubt you would get enough heat from the oven to do alot
      of good and, if your doing a condensor, all that heat stored in the
      metal will quickly dissipate....besides, I know I wouldn't want to
      work with 20 feet of 500 degree F metal.
    • stephen gardipee
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 11:52 AM
        <startingstill@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have any simple, yet specific information on annealing
        copper tubing.

        With alot of help, I just recently got the pictures of my condensor
        loaded up in the photo section under grayson_stewart.

        After wasting several lengths of tubing I finally followed the
        advice I had been given and filled the tubing with salt. It takes a
        little time to make sure it is completley filled but well worth the
        effort. Nobody wants a flat kink halfway through a perfect
        condensor! I then heated the tubing as I twisted it around a broom
        handle.

        I simply heated my salt filled tubing with a propane torch. Placed
        hottest part of the flame (blue tip) along the straight tubing
        closest to the broom handle and ran it over a segment about 8 to 10
        inches. Needless to say, you will want leather gloves while doing
        this.

        True annealing is when heat is applied to the metal to remove any
        cold hardening and realign the microscopic lattice structure of the
        metal making the metal more mallable. What I was doing with the
        propane torch is simply softening the metal to make it easier to
        bend. Making it easier to bend gives you more control in making
        tight coils.

        Now when I say softening, it definately isn't going to become limp -
        but it will be easier to form the tight coils required. I still
        took a break every ten coils or so to rest my forearms.

        Copper is a great conductor and readily dissipates the heat, so I
        only heated enough of the material to form two or three coils that
        you can see in the pictures and then reheated another short segment
        to continue making more coils.

        Just as with anything else, you will need to play with it to get a
        feel for the way it should work. If it's still too difficult to
        form, heat a little longer or try heating a smaller portion and only
        work one coil, then repeat for another coil.

        I seriously doubt you would get enough heat from the oven to do alot
        of good and, if your doing a condensor, all that heat stored in the
        metal will quickly dissipate....besides, I know I wouldn't want to
        work with 20 feet of 500 degree F metal.

        Thank you Grayson..I appreciate the help.

        Stephen

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here