Re: [Distillers] Re: bending copper tubing/ Thanks

  • stephen gardipee
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, stephen gardipee
      <startingstill@y...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have any simple, yet specific information on annealing
      copper tubing. For example, can I anneal it in the oven. What
      temperature does it have to be heated to. Should I heat it with my
      oxy-acetylene torch. When I try to bend my tubing it crimps. I have
      some information that I downloaded from homedistiller.org/materials.
      I guess what I am asking is how do I know That I have heated my
      copper tubing to a temperature that has properly annealed it.

      > Stephen...

      Hi Stephen,
      Oxy torch (a.k.a. gas axe) is the go.
      The word anneal means to soften thoroughly and render less
      brittle. Copper is unlike steel in many respects. If copper is
      bent often, it could break when you try to bend it again. Should the
      pressure on a copper tube increase or decrease too much, the tube
      could break. Vibration also makes copper tubing break.

      To soften steel, heat it to a cherry red and cool it very slowly.
      The slower it is cooled, the softer the steel becomes.

      With copper, the opposite is true. Copper is heated uniformly to a
      dull red and then quenched (dipped) in water. The faster it is
      cooled, the softer the copper becomes.

      BENDING.�Copper, properly annealed, can be bent by hand when sharp
      bends are not desired. Copper partially collapses during the bending
      process if a tubing bender is not used or if the copper is not
      filled with some kind of easily removable material, such as sand or
      salt. Simple bends can also be made by wrapping the outside of the
      copper tightly with soft wire and bending the copper by hand.

      However, if a line must make a 45- or 90-degree bend, you should use
      a tubing bender. Hand-tubing benders are available for each size of
      copper. These benders assist you in making neat, accurate bends
      easily, quickly, and without marring the copper or restricting the
      flow through the copper. It is easy to make a bend but difficult to
      get the bend in the correct location on the copper and to the
      correct degree.

      Be certain that you have the correct size bender for the copper you
      intend to bend. A bender that is either too small or too large for
      the copper will make a faulty bend.

      HTH

      Harry

      Thank you for the information. I was well on my way with my still, then I ran into this problem. I will be posting some pictures of my project in the near future..

      Thanks again,

      Stephen

    • Grayson Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        <startingstill@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have any simple, yet specific information on annealing
        copper tubing.

        With alot of help, I just recently got the pictures of my condensor
        loaded up in the photo section under grayson_stewart.

        After wasting several lengths of tubing I finally followed the
        advice I had been given and filled the tubing with salt. It takes a
        little time to make sure it is completley filled but well worth the
        effort. Nobody wants a flat kink halfway through a perfect
        condensor! I then heated the tubing as I twisted it around a broom
        handle.

        I simply heated my salt filled tubing with a propane torch. Placed
        hottest part of the flame (blue tip) along the straight tubing
        closest to the broom handle and ran it over a segment about 8 to 10
        inches. Needless to say, you will want leather gloves while doing
        this.

        True annealing is when heat is applied to the metal to remove any
        cold hardening and realign the microscopic lattice structure of the
        metal making the metal more mallable. What I was doing with the
        propane torch is simply softening the metal to make it easier to
        bend. Making it easier to bend gives you more control in making
        tight coils.

        Now when I say softening, it definately isn't going to become limp -
        but it will be easier to form the tight coils required. I still
        took a break every ten coils or so to rest my forearms.

        Copper is a great conductor and readily dissipates the heat, so I
        only heated enough of the material to form two or three coils that
        you can see in the pictures and then reheated another short segment
        to continue making more coils.

        Just as with anything else, you will need to play with it to get a
        feel for the way it should work. If it's still too difficult to
        form, heat a little longer or try heating a smaller portion and only
        work one coil, then repeat for another coil.

        I seriously doubt you would get enough heat from the oven to do alot
        of good and, if your doing a condensor, all that heat stored in the
        metal will quickly dissipate....besides, I know I wouldn't want to
        work with 20 feet of 500 degree F metal.
      • stephen gardipee
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          <startingstill@y...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have any simple, yet specific information on annealing
          copper tubing.

          With alot of help, I just recently got the pictures of my condensor
          loaded up in the photo section under grayson_stewart.

          After wasting several lengths of tubing I finally followed the
          advice I had been given and filled the tubing with salt. It takes a
          little time to make sure it is completley filled but well worth the
          effort. Nobody wants a flat kink halfway through a perfect
          condensor! I then heated the tubing as I twisted it around a broom
          handle.

          I simply heated my salt filled tubing with a propane torch. Placed
          hottest part of the flame (blue tip) along the straight tubing
          closest to the broom handle and ran it over a segment about 8 to 10
          inches. Needless to say, you will want leather gloves while doing
          this.

          True annealing is when heat is applied to the metal to remove any
          cold hardening and realign the microscopic lattice structure of the
          metal making the metal more mallable. What I was doing with the
          propane torch is simply softening the metal to make it easier to
          bend. Making it easier to bend gives you more control in making
          tight coils.

          Now when I say softening, it definately isn't going to become limp -
          but it will be easier to form the tight coils required. I still
          took a break every ten coils or so to rest my forearms.

          Copper is a great conductor and readily dissipates the heat, so I
          only heated enough of the material to form two or three coils that
          you can see in the pictures and then reheated another short segment
          to continue making more coils.

          Just as with anything else, you will need to play with it to get a
          feel for the way it should work. If it's still too difficult to
          form, heat a little longer or try heating a smaller portion and only
          work one coil, then repeat for another coil.

          I seriously doubt you would get enough heat from the oven to do alot
          of good and, if your doing a condensor, all that heat stored in the
          metal will quickly dissipate....besides, I know I wouldn't want to
          work with 20 feet of 500 degree F metal.

          Thank you Grayson..I appreciate the help.

          Stephen

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here