re;Ted Palmers response to yeast propagation

  • Jack Ricks
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hey there,
      I was not aware that one had to be a scientist to be a
      member to this group!!If that is the case you can have this group to
      yourselves and I dont want to be a member.

      I thought with my limited knowledge in the process of distilation
      this would the place to to increase this knowledge with questions
      about my problems.If you think it is lazy to ask questions to various
      problems instead of doing the research(which could take many hours)so
      be it!!! I think its working smarter rather than working harder.

      There is no doubt many people with the same interests in distilling
      that I have, with limited knowledge and would like to get SIMPLE
      facts about the various processes about distilling.

      If we have to move to another site to get this advice,I'm sure we
      will do that.(even if it is to please the scientists!!!)

      Regards(but not kind ones)
      Jack Ricks
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
        >I was not aware that one had to be a scientist to be a
        >member to this group!!If that is the case you can have this
        >group to yourselves and I dont want to be a member.

        That's not the case, Jack. I for one have been very appreciative of Ted's
        postings, where he has done the difficult job of translating a technical
        subject into simpler language (I had no idea how much space a few million
        yeast cells takes up). The fact that he says he is doing so is not a slur
        on anyone.

        >I thought with my limited knowledge in the process of
        >distilation this would the place to to increase this knowledge
        >with questions about my problems.If you think it is lazy to ask
        >questions to various problems instead of doing the research
        >(which could take many hours)so be it!!! I think its working
        >smarter rather than working harder.

        Spot on ! Sometimes the questions have to be posed a couple of different
        ways too, to get slightly different answers, so that you fully grasp the
        answer. But the point being alluded to is that often the questions HAVE
        been asked previously, and very recently. There is often little positive
        feedback to those who do take the time to answer. I often find myself
        answering the same questions time and time again, for little thanks.
        Sometimes a simple "thank you" email to the repliers goes a long way to
        making their effort worth while. This is where the FAQ, and the search
        facility at YahooGroups of the "Distillers" group can help too, to avoid
        needless repetition of asking the same material.

        >There is no doubt many people with the same interests in distilling
        >that I have, with limited knowledge and would like to get SIMPLE
        >facts about the various processes about distilling.

        That's what we are all here for.

        >If we have to move to another site to get this advice,I'm sure we
        >will do that.(even if it is to please the scientists!!!)

        Nope, not required. But we do need some consideration for each other, both
        in not respecting the time & effort put into answering the questions, and
        also understanding that sometimes several goes are needed to get the message
        across fully. Need to balance the two.

        my 2 cents

        Tony
      • Ted Palmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2001
          I knew this would ruffle someone's feathers,

          "There is no doubt many people with the same interests in distilling
          that I have, with limited knowledge and would like to get SIMPLE
          facts about the various processes about distilling."

          No doubt about it, in fact a few hours of "RESEARCH" reading the previous posts, faqs etc. can further your total knowledge of the subject, not just the aspect you were querying.

          "I think its working smarter rather than working harder."
          Who is doing the work here? Certainly not the questioner. If you're asking what is the best packing material or how much nutrient should I use? It is obvious that you haven't read much of this group. 99% of anyone's questions have probably been addressed in previous posts or are in the faq, working smarter is using the resource that you have correctly.

          If we have to move to another site to get this advice,I'm sure we
          will do that.(even if it is to please the scientists!!!)
          No one is asking you to leave this group, only to read the thing first and then ask. Scientist? well, I'm flattered, that you think so.
          _____________
          Ted Palmer
          tpalmer@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
            I agree with you Jack. There are ALOT of posts to
            read.
            If I had not been reading the posts every day it would
            be too much to go through to find the answer to one
            question. I hope more people ask questions (and some
            more than once) so that I will learn more about
            distillation from more people.

            Jeff
            --- Jack Ricks <secondhandjack@...> wrote:
            > Hey there,
            > I was not aware that one had to be a
            > scientist to be a
            > member to this group!!If that is the case you can
            > have this group to
            > yourselves and I dont want to be a member.
            >
            > I thought with my limited knowledge in the process
            > of distilation
            > this would the place to to increase this knowledge
            > with questions
            > about my problems.If you think it is lazy to ask
            > questions to various
            > problems instead of doing the research(which could
            > take many hours)so
            > be it!!! I think its working smarter rather than
            > working harder.
            >
            > There is no doubt many people with the same
            > interests in distilling
            > that I have, with limited knowledge and would like
            > to get SIMPLE
            > facts about the various processes about distilling.
            >
            > If we have to move to another site to get this
            > advice,I'm sure we
            > will do that.(even if it is to please the
            > scientists!!!)
            >
            > Regards(but not kind ones)
            > Jack Ricks

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Pete Sayers
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
              I have been involved with this group for only a short time, and have watched
              with interest as it has grown, from a few people asking simple questions,
              requiring simple answers, to where we now find ourselves with an "Elitist
              Group". Unfortunately, of late, it seems to be that the forum has been taken
              over with obsessively complicated queries, requiring obsessively complicated
              answers.This unfortunately, seems to have opened up a rift between the
              KNOWLEDGEABLE, and the HOBBIEST.Why cant we all work together, toward as
              many people (ordinary ones)enjoying our wee hobby, with the ability to ask
              questions of each other, without being berated and chastised by those who
              consider themselves beyond answering simple questions. I work on the theory
              "That there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".I have further
              found that there are people out here that are incrediably clever in the
              classroom, but limited in practicle experience.
              Lets keep the pettiness out of this group.
              Pete Sayers from The Brewers Barn

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
                This unfortunately, seems to have opened up a rift between the
                KNOWLEDGEABLE, and the HOBBIEST.
                Pete, this group has always been for the knowledgeable and the new_distillers group is geared to the hobbyist. There is nothing wrong in directing someone to another group if that group is better suited to their needs.

                I work on the theory
                "That there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".
                I use the same philosophy but I add "there are lazy questions that shouldn't get answers."
                BTW I did a query for "Elitist group" and couldn't find one listed:)
                Ted Palmer
                tpalmer@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
                  Ted i agree, however if one does'nt know something one has but got to ask.
                  Pete