Re: [Distillers] stop a leak

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
      Ah, I'll try that..I've checked loctites products on the internet and they have some interesting caulk :) as well.

    • physkid@raidersfan.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2001
        I agree wholeheartedly with using aquarium grade silicone ONLY. We
        drink this stuff ladies and gents, I quiver at the thought of what
        else is in that stuff made for auto gaskets ect. If you use that
        stuff in your fishtank, the fish die. That environment only has cold
        water, what leeches out when you've got hot solvent vapors around?

        I used the aquarium stuff with great sucess for a gasket between the
        lid and my stainless steel pot. It eventually tore, but for a few
        dollars and a couple days of curing I had another one fabricated good
        as new.

        happy hooching,
        -Andrew

        --- In Distillers@y..., "Mecakyrios" <meca@m...> wrote:

        > I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?
        >
        > I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as
        regular
        > silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like
        bathroon caulk
        > is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the
        alcohol can
        > break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.
        >
        > Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not
        break down
        > over time with exposure to alcohol.

      • Dan and Barbara Gill
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
          There is also food grade high temp. silicon available in small and large
          tubes from restaurant equipment suppliers. It is relatively expensive
          but also very good and safe.

          Dan