Question about spent wash

  • Phil Silvers
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
      Afternoon everyone,

      Maybe I am completely missing what happens but.......
      If only about half the sugar is converted to ethanol during the
      fermentation process then what happens to the other half of the
      original sugar? This leads me to another question - what if I
      distilled a 20L batch then used what is left in the boiler when done
      and add about 2.5 kg of sugar (half the regular amount) and pitched a
      normal ammount of yeast to it? Would that work at all? Better?
      Worse? Could the liquid work if I just add 5 kg sugar?

      Thanks,

      Brett
    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
        The other half of the sugar is turned into carbon dioxide and heat. There is nothing left but yeast cells and water.
        _____________
        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...

             Maybe I am completely missing what happens but.......
        If only about half the sugar is converted to ethanol during the
        fermentation process then what happens to the other half of the
        original sugar?  This leads me to another question - what if I
        distilled a 20L batch then used what is left in the boiler when done
        and add about 2.5 kg of sugar (half the regular amount) and pitched a
        normal ammount of yeast to it?  Would that work at all?  Better?
        Worse? Could the liquid work if I just add 5 kg sugar?

        Thanks,

        Brett

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
          Phil,

          The other half goes to making carbon dioxide (CO2) gas - thats the stuff
          bubbling out through the airlock.
          So all the sugar has gone at the end of the day.

          Sometimes commercial distilleries will reuse their spent wash, so that they
          don't have to use so much water next time, and also less to dispose of.
          This has to be done very carefully however to ensure that bacteria don't
          start breeding, and also to stop some of the yeast-inhibiting products
          present (like lactic acid) don't build up to levels that are a problem. I
          reckon its not worth the hassle for a hobby distiller, unless specifically
          trying to make like a sour-mash.

          Tony