Re: [Distillers] stop a leak

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3 4:52 PM
      Ah, I'll try that..I've checked loctites products on the internet and they have some interesting caulk :) as well.

    • jwdob@planet.nl
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4 2:05 AM
        --- In Distillers@y..., "Johan Hemberg" <hemberg@h...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I need to make my still completely tight because i rufse any smell
        at all from it.

        Ok Johan, try this stuff
        Loctite Blue Silicone RTV, form-a-gasket No.6
        This is a silicone based gasket material for cars, gearboxes etc
        I made a gasket with it for my first still and is still goin strong...
        It withstands alcohol (my was 94%) and is longlasting and easy to
        repair.

        By Jan Willem

        http://www.geocities.com/homedistilling/
        [ under FULL conversion, NEW! Dutch version ]
      • physkid@raidersfan.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5 3:05 PM
          I agree wholeheartedly with using aquarium grade silicone ONLY. We
          drink this stuff ladies and gents, I quiver at the thought of what
          else is in that stuff made for auto gaskets ect. If you use that
          stuff in your fishtank, the fish die. That environment only has cold
          water, what leeches out when you've got hot solvent vapors around?

          I used the aquarium stuff with great sucess for a gasket between the
          lid and my stainless steel pot. It eventually tore, but for a few
          dollars and a couple days of curing I had another one fabricated good
          as new.

          happy hooching,
          -Andrew

          --- In Distillers@y..., "Mecakyrios" <meca@m...> wrote:

          > I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?
          >
          > I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as
          regular
          > silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like
          bathroon caulk
          > is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the
          alcohol can
          > break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.
          >
          > Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not
          break down
          > over time with exposure to alcohol.

        • Dan and Barbara Gill
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6 5:29 AM
            There is also food grade high temp. silicon available in small and large
            tubes from restaurant equipment suppliers. It is relatively expensive
            but also very good and safe.

            Dan