Re: [Distillers] stop a leak

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
      Ah, I'll try that..I've checked loctites products on the internet and they have some interesting caulk :) as well.

    • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
        Hello,

        I assume that alcohol a stronger solvent than gasoline form what I've heard. Working with automotive applications, I have yet to find an epoxy, gasket sealer, or otherwise that is totally immune to gasoline.

        I did use silicon sealer (clear gel) to seal a small gas leak and it worked okay. To dry the sealer I baked it in the sun for a few days.

        If you do find a product that will work, please let me know.

        Thanks,

        Tim
      • jwdob@planet.nl
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
          --- In Distillers@y..., "Johan Hemberg" <hemberg@h...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I need to make my still completely tight because i rufse any smell
          at all from it.

          Ok Johan, try this stuff
          Loctite Blue Silicone RTV, form-a-gasket No.6
          This is a silicone based gasket material for cars, gearboxes etc
          I made a gasket with it for my first still and is still goin strong...
          It withstands alcohol (my was 94%) and is longlasting and easy to
          repair.

          By Jan Willem

          http://www.geocities.com/homedistilling/
          [ under FULL conversion, NEW! Dutch version ]
        • physkid@raidersfan.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2001
            I agree wholeheartedly with using aquarium grade silicone ONLY. We
            drink this stuff ladies and gents, I quiver at the thought of what
            else is in that stuff made for auto gaskets ect. If you use that
            stuff in your fishtank, the fish die. That environment only has cold
            water, what leeches out when you've got hot solvent vapors around?

            I used the aquarium stuff with great sucess for a gasket between the
            lid and my stainless steel pot. It eventually tore, but for a few
            dollars and a couple days of curing I had another one fabricated good
            as new.

            happy hooching,
            -Andrew

            --- In Distillers@y..., "Mecakyrios" <meca@m...> wrote:

            > I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?
            >
            > I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as
            regular
            > silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like
            bathroon caulk
            > is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the
            alcohol can
            > break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.
            >
            > Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not
            break down
            > over time with exposure to alcohol.

          • Dan and Barbara Gill
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
              There is also food grade high temp. silicon available in small and large
              tubes from restaurant equipment suppliers. It is relatively expensive
              but also very good and safe.

              Dan