Re: [Distillers] stop a leak

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
      Clever idea :)
      However..can't find any (sweden) and there are more places on my still I would like to make absolutely sure that there are no leaks. So it would be nice to have this stuff to fill the hole and threads with..
      What is the right english word for this substance? to fill joints with?
      Maybe loctite will do the work.
      I once found a special glue that is used to glue pvc thogether and that is resistant to warm alcohol.
      never bought it but it would be nice to make a still in plastic sometime.

      > Why not try using a rubber cork that is solid? Just a thought! I have
      > seen them for sale that way!! Steve

    • Mecakyrios
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
        I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?

        I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as regular
        silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like bathroon caulk
        is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the alcohol can
        break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.

        Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not break down
        over time with exposure to alcohol.

        - - D. C. - -
      • Johan Hemberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
          Ah, I'll try that..I've checked loctites products on the internet and they have some interesting caulk :) as well.

        • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hello,

            I assume that alcohol a stronger solvent than gasoline form what I've heard. Working with automotive applications, I have yet to find an epoxy, gasket sealer, or otherwise that is totally immune to gasoline.

            I did use silicon sealer (clear gel) to seal a small gas leak and it worked okay. To dry the sealer I baked it in the sun for a few days.

            If you do find a product that will work, please let me know.

            Thanks,

            Tim
          • jwdob@planet.nl
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
              --- In Distillers@y..., "Johan Hemberg" <hemberg@h...> wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I need to make my still completely tight because i rufse any smell
              at all from it.

              Ok Johan, try this stuff
              Loctite Blue Silicone RTV, form-a-gasket No.6
              This is a silicone based gasket material for cars, gearboxes etc
              I made a gasket with it for my first still and is still goin strong...
              It withstands alcohol (my was 94%) and is longlasting and easy to
              repair.

              By Jan Willem

              http://www.geocities.com/homedistilling/
              [ under FULL conversion, NEW! Dutch version ]
            • physkid@raidersfan.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2001
                I agree wholeheartedly with using aquarium grade silicone ONLY. We
                drink this stuff ladies and gents, I quiver at the thought of what
                else is in that stuff made for auto gaskets ect. If you use that
                stuff in your fishtank, the fish die. That environment only has cold
                water, what leeches out when you've got hot solvent vapors around?

                I used the aquarium stuff with great sucess for a gasket between the
                lid and my stainless steel pot. It eventually tore, but for a few
                dollars and a couple days of curing I had another one fabricated good
                as new.

                happy hooching,
                -Andrew

                --- In Distillers@y..., "Mecakyrios" <meca@m...> wrote:

                > I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?
                >
                > I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as
                regular
                > silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like
                bathroon caulk
                > is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the
                alcohol can
                > break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.
                >
                > Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not
                break down
                > over time with exposure to alcohol.

              • Dan and Barbara Gill
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
                  There is also food grade high temp. silicon available in small and large
                  tubes from restaurant equipment suppliers. It is relatively expensive
                  but also very good and safe.

                  Dan