stop a leak

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
      Hi

      I need to make my still completely tight because i rufse any smell at all from it. It's connected to a activated carbonfilter so want all the air that goes in and out to it to pass that filter.
      In the top i have a rubbercork with a hole i the middle. I need to fill that hole.
      I've used siliconbased glue (i don't know the right english word for this but it's a common product in bathrooms) but it isn't resistant to alcohol.
      I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?

      By the way...for those of you that didn't know, use a small activeted carbon filter (1 dl or so) attach to your fermenter. It wont smell at all !

    • Johan Hemberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
        Clever idea :)
        However..can't find any (sweden) and there are more places on my still I would like to make absolutely sure that there are no leaks. So it would be nice to have this stuff to fill the hole and threads with..
        What is the right english word for this substance? to fill joints with?
        Maybe loctite will do the work.
        I once found a special glue that is used to glue pvc thogether and that is resistant to warm alcohol.
        never bought it but it would be nice to make a still in plastic sometime.

        > Why not try using a rubber cork that is solid? Just a thought! I have
        > seen them for sale that way!! Steve

      • Mecakyrios
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
          I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?

          I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as regular
          silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like bathroon caulk
          is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the alcohol can
          break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.

          Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not break down
          over time with exposure to alcohol.

          - - D. C. - -
        • Johan Hemberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
            Ah, I'll try that..I've checked loctites products on the internet and they have some interesting caulk :) as well.

          • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hello,

              I assume that alcohol a stronger solvent than gasoline form what I've heard. Working with automotive applications, I have yet to find an epoxy, gasket sealer, or otherwise that is totally immune to gasoline.

              I did use silicon sealer (clear gel) to seal a small gas leak and it worked okay. To dry the sealer I baked it in the sun for a few days.

              If you do find a product that will work, please let me know.

              Thanks,

              Tim
            • jwdob@planet.nl
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
                --- In Distillers@y..., "Johan Hemberg" <hemberg@h...> wrote:
                > Hi
                >
                > I need to make my still completely tight because i rufse any smell
                at all from it.

                Ok Johan, try this stuff
                Loctite Blue Silicone RTV, form-a-gasket No.6
                This is a silicone based gasket material for cars, gearboxes etc
                I made a gasket with it for my first still and is still goin strong...
                It withstands alcohol (my was 94%) and is longlasting and easy to
                repair.

                By Jan Willem

                http://www.geocities.com/homedistilling/
                [ under FULL conversion, NEW! Dutch version ]
              • physkid@raidersfan.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2001
                  I agree wholeheartedly with using aquarium grade silicone ONLY. We
                  drink this stuff ladies and gents, I quiver at the thought of what
                  else is in that stuff made for auto gaskets ect. If you use that
                  stuff in your fishtank, the fish die. That environment only has cold
                  water, what leeches out when you've got hot solvent vapors around?

                  I used the aquarium stuff with great sucess for a gasket between the
                  lid and my stainless steel pot. It eventually tore, but for a few
                  dollars and a couple days of curing I had another one fabricated good
                  as new.

                  happy hooching,
                  -Andrew

                  --- In Distillers@y..., "Mecakyrios" <meca@m...> wrote:

                  > I need a product that is resistant to alcohol, what can i use?
                  >
                  > I recomend strait silicon, like the kind used in aquariums, as
                  regular
                  > silucon is resistant to alcohol. Silicon-based products, like
                  bathroon caulk
                  > is not the best choise because it is not of food grade and the
                  alcohol can
                  > break down some of the main ingredients in the bathroom caulk.
                  >
                  > Use the silicon for aquariums as it is pure silicon and does not
                  break down
                  > over time with exposure to alcohol.

                • Dan and Barbara Gill
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
                    There is also food grade high temp. silicon available in small and large
                    tubes from restaurant equipment suppliers. It is relatively expensive
                    but also very good and safe.

                    Dan