Re: [Distillers] complete plans

  • Erikstill
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
      http://homedistiller.org

      Deside what you wanna do (make pure alcohol (for vodka etc.) or whisky and schnapps or both)
      Make your choice (potstill - reflux - fractionating - combination)
      Choose a desing.

      Ask a lot of questions.

      Kind regards,
      Erik.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wabster <ozwab2001@y...>
        wrote:
        > Folks,
        >
        > I am sure most hobbyist have a similar problem, but I
        > am curious what the group members do as far as getting
        > a decent set of bottles and reasonable labels together
        > to make up an attractive bar collection that doesn't
        > look like a dogs breakfast, or a hodge podge of
        > varying bottles and makeshift labels.

        If you want uniform bottles, visit you local homebrew/winemaking
        store and buy a couple of cases of 750 ml clear wine bottles. You
        can also get something called "sampling corks" which are corks capped
        on one end with a hard plastic ridged lid which makes them easy to
        seal and remove by hand with finger pressure only. The corks have
        the added advantage of somehow mellowing the flavor somehow. I don't
        know how it works, but I have had numerous experiences of the same
        hooch stored in corked versus screw on capped bottles and inevitably,
        the corked stuff seems to be smoother, more mellow and has a less
        sharp aroma.

        As far as labels go, just use your imagination to come up with
        something original on your computer. You can make a standard label
        template and then just change the text according to whatever variety
        of hooch you are bottling. Glue sticks available at any drug store,
        grocery or office supply place are easy to use in applying the labels.

        I usually use one corked bottle for my "active drinking" bottle and
        store the rest of the batch in regular quart mason jars labeled with
        a Sharpie marker. I top up the drinking bottle from the mason jars
        as it becomes depleted.

        Mason jars make good gift bottles for family and friends as well.
        People like the "ambiance" of homemade stuff in a jar! Plus, you can
        use half-pint, pint, or quart jars depending on how good a friend or
        close a family member they are!

        regards,
        Tar
      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
          Hi Mark,
          One option I've been playing with is using a scanner and bubble jet
          printer to scan steamed off (and redried) real labels and sticky paper
          for printers to print the label out which then sticks to the clean
          bottle of whatever type and size.
          Also if you want what look to be reasonable bottles try
          http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category87_1.htm as there are bottles at
          the bottom of that page for about 2 'bux' each that look quite
          reasonable.
          I keep large bottles of spirits out of sight and only use them for
          topping up the small bottles on display.
          Cheers,
          Leigh.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
            <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
            > Hi Mark,
            > One option I've been playing with is using a scanner and bubble jet
            > printer to scan steamed off (and redried) real labels and sticky
            paper
            > for printers to print the label out which then sticks to the clean
            > bottle of whatever type and size.

            If you don't want to put a new label on the bottle every time, you
            could do as Mark says above and use a graphics program (MS Publisher,
            say)to make a blank space in the middle or wherever, or design your
            own label. Then get some clear contact plastic sheet, like I
            remember covering schoolbooks with, and cover the label that is stuck
            to the bottle. Stating the obvious, the label is visible through the
            plastic. You can then write on the plastic with a felt pen. If you
            use an oil-based pen, you can rub it off later with metho (or, heaven
            forbid, the output of your still). I've used this method for years
            on wine fermenters.

            Cheers
            JRae