RE: [Distillers] WHITE CLOUDY SPIRIT

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      Mos you never said if you "Back flushed" the column after the first run. pour some  boiling water (a couple of jugs) back down the column, this should be done after every run.And yes there will be a little contamination if you go TOO far.Other than that i cant help, maybe some one else can.
      Pete
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
        If you are getting a cloudy product you are cooking it too long.  Water causes cloudiness.  Hope this helps!

        Deb Brewer

        witchwriter@...

        ICQ #13688671

        http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/8212/DebsPlace.html

        .:*W*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*C*:._.:*H*:._.:*W*:._.:*R*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*E*:._.:*R*:.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hello

          I also tend to agree with Deb - you are cooking it too long and ending up
          with too much tails!

          I am finding it rather interesting in that you are not getting any off
          taste or smells though - most unusual!

          Cheers
          Gary

          MILL-FORD LODGE HOMEBREW SHOP
          gluyas@...

          www.pbsltd.co.nz

          ----------

          I have recently built a nixon stone type still
          with 1.2 meter column which seems to work very well,exept when I mix water
          with my 95% it goes miky looking.I have tried rainwater and distilled water
          from another still both with same results. First run of the still I may
          have
          taken a little too much spirit and collected some tails. Could this be the
          problem, and maybe there could have been some tails residue in the ss
          scrubbers on run number two.There seems to be no off smell or flavours.
          Any suggestions muchly welcome,
          Kind regards,
          Mos

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
            Does the cloudyness go away by itself after a few days ? I've noticed some
            of mine doing this, because of fine air bubbles in it, coming from air that
            had been disolved in the water. It cleared by itself.

            I've had another lot, which was cloudy at 90%, once it had cooled down.
            But it went away when diluted down to 40%. I was also suspecting that it
            was trace amounts of tails in there. So, just made sure that I used a
            strong essence with it (used an Ouzo one)

            Tony