Re: Collar for column tested

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      I uploaded a picture in Photo Albums > rkr > Reflux directing collar
      This is worthy improvement when there's coil on top of the packing
      situation. The end of the coil fits nicely inside the collar so it
      adds only 1-2cm extra height and is easy to make (few minutes). For
      larger columns I'd consider adding these inbetween the packing to
      improve reflux distribution.

      Now another interesting thing: my VM liebig developed a leak after
      the heads phase and I had to abort the run. So I added heads back to
      the boiler and swapped in my trusty spiral column. This time I was
      using 1 meter * 42mm column with perforated plate on top of the
      packing. I finished collecting heads this morning after 1 dl of
      incredibly nasty stuff. After that ~1 liter of pure ethanol has come
      out and distillation continues.

      64mm VM column with coil on top of 1 meter of mesh -> 1,5l of heads
      Same with collar -> 1 l of heads
      42mm * 1 meter CM column with perforated plate -> 0,1 l of heads

      I also achieved automated shutdown after the heads came out. This is
      starting to look good.

      Greetz, Riku