Re: [Distillers] Re: Collar for column tested

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      > > Hmm look at that, makes me wonder how far apart collars should be
      > > installed in a tall column to guarantee full function of the
      > packing.
      > >
      > > Johan
      >
      > 15cm sounds like a plan with amphora mesh. I'll propably try a
      > perforated plate on 40mm column next.
      >
      > Greetz, Riku

      Hi Riku,

      Any chance of a few pics? or diagrams? I'm fairly sure I know what you're
      getting at here, but would love to see all the same.

      Where are you going, conceptually, with the perforated plate? Sounds
      intriguing!

      Cheers
      Anders
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
        I uploaded a picture in Photo Albums > rkr > Reflux directing collar
        This is worthy improvement when there's coil on top of the packing
        situation. The end of the coil fits nicely inside the collar so it
        adds only 1-2cm extra height and is easy to make (few minutes). For
        larger columns I'd consider adding these inbetween the packing to
        improve reflux distribution.

        Now another interesting thing: my VM liebig developed a leak after
        the heads phase and I had to abort the run. So I added heads back to
        the boiler and swapped in my trusty spiral column. This time I was
        using 1 meter * 42mm column with perforated plate on top of the
        packing. I finished collecting heads this morning after 1 dl of
        incredibly nasty stuff. After that ~1 liter of pure ethanol has come
        out and distillation continues.

        64mm VM column with coil on top of 1 meter of mesh -> 1,5l of heads
        Same with collar -> 1 l of heads
        42mm * 1 meter CM column with perforated plate -> 0,1 l of heads

        I also achieved automated shutdown after the heads came out. This is
        starting to look good.

        Greetz, Riku