strange fermentation turned into glue!!!

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
      Since the weather has been a little cooler a threw on a couple brews....2 of the 3 were going great but the 3rd one over night did (3rd day) something i havent seen before...It had overflowed( standard 30L barrel turbo yeast ) but what was really strange is that the wash had turned to something the resembled clag glue.....the stuff was on the floor...very sticky and when i tried to hose it away from off the grass it hardly moved!!! has anyone had this happen or know why?

      This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in
      spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
      beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
        Subject: strange fermentation turned into glue!!!

        Since the weather has been a little cooler a threw on a couple brews....2 of the 3 were going great but the 3rd one over night did (3rd day) something i havent seen before...It had overflowed( standard 30L barrel turbo yeast plain sugar ) but what was really strange is that the wash had turned to something the resembled clag glue.....the stuff was on the floor...very sticky and when i tried to hose it away from off the grass it hardly moved!!! has anyone had this happen or know why?

        This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in
        spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
        beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

      • Andrew Forsberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
          I've had rotten, putrid smelling brews, usually with all grain batches that
          haven't been sparged then boiled. I've also heard of infections of stringy
          goo in wines. First time I've heard mmention of a glue bug. You lucky thing!

          It sounds rather like you need to pay a bit more attention to sanitation
          around your fermenters! But I guess you already knew that. :) If you
          *really* want to know what is growing, and spreading, from your 3rd
          fermenter, threatening to take over the world, you could always send a
          sample to a local oenology research centre. The Pacific Rim Oenology
          Services (PROS) folk down in Blenheim here in NZ do that sort of analysis.
          I'm sure there are places in Aus that offer similar services. If you do
          please CC me the report! Bugs are fascinating!

          Cheers
          Anders

          > Since the weather has been a little cooler a threw on a couple brews....2
          of the 3 were going great but the 3rd one over night did (3rd day) something
          i havent seen before...It had overflowed( standard 30L barrel turbo yeast
          plain sugar ) but what was really strange is that the wash had turned to
          something the resembled clag glue.....the stuff was on the floor...very
          sticky and when i tried to hose it away from off the grass it hardly
          moved!!! has anyone had this happen or know why?
        • Brian Rowe
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
            Had a similar thing happened to me
            I tried to make a brew using potato -
            Dissolved 5kg of sugar in 10 litres of water
            minced up 5kg of potato - didn't cook it.
            Added it to the sugar solution and topped up to 25 litres.
            Stirred well then added 1 sachet of turbo yeast.
            It was a warm night - came home after work the next day - the garage floor
            had a thick film of glue all over it.
            took me most of the day scrapping the floor to clean it up
            Distilling is sooooooooooooo much fun