clearing results

  • ryanv75
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
      after i read on the package that turbo yeast doesnt clear naturally
      i dumped in enough sparkaloid for 3 times the amount I had, even
      though the yeast was probably 10 times if turbo yeasts use the
      prescribed 50g of yeast and lots of nutrients. It has cleared very
      well for one day and has clearly formed a sponge at the bottom few
      inches of the pail. there is a layer of film at the top that i am
      unsure how to get rid of. Will it drop over time ? or do i just scoop
      it off ? Can you contaminate the wash by using too much finings ? I
      assume that this is nearly impossible as they obviously cling to yeast
      and pull it to the bottom, but does it take the 7-14 days it states
      on the package to settle it down ? Thanks again, as always. ryan.
    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
        Ryan, I'm pretty sloppy with my runs and have distilled a wash that stuck before every thing was fermented. In my small pot still, it came out crystal clear and did not taste bad. I've never cleared a wash and haven't had a problem. I am a real rookie at this business, but this has been my experience. Good luck, Rana

        ryanv75 <ryanv75@...> wrote:after i read on the package that turbo yeast doesnt clear naturally
        i dumped in enough sparkaloid for 3 times the amount I had, even
        though the yeast was probably 10 times if turbo yeasts use the
        prescribed 50g of yeast and lots of nutrients. It has cleared very
        well for one day and has clearly formed a sponge at the bottom few
        inches of the pail. there is a layer of film at the top that i am
        unsure how to get rid of. Will it drop over time ? or do i just scoop
        it off ? Can you contaminate the wash by using too much finings ? I
        assume that this is nearly impossible as they obviously cling to yeast
        and pull it to the bottom, but does it take the 7-14 days it states
        on the package to settle it down ? Thanks again, as always. ryan.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          Another thing that someone could correct me on is an essential difference betwwen non=distilled wine, beer or mead is that in w b or m you are retaining the whole of the must or wort less the dead yeast while in distilled spirits you are physically separating the volitile components base on their differing boiling points. Rana

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • Tarvus
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...> wrote:
            > Ryan, I'm pretty sloppy with my runs and have distilled a wash that
            stuck before every thing was fermented. In my small pot still, it
            came out crystal clear and did not taste bad. I've never cleared a
            wash and haven't had a problem. I am a real rookie at this business,
            but this has been my experience. Good luck, Rana

            Rana, I totally agree! I don't even bother to siphon anymore, I just
            dump the wort into the fermenter taking minimal care to exclude the
            yeast sludge on the bottom. I have never had a problem with any off
            smell or flavors in my spirits as a result.

            Clearing the yeast in a beer or wine is critical, but I'm not
            convinced it makes much difference in distilled spirits. I've tried
            it both ways and can't tell a difference.

            The spent liquor remainin in the boiler after the run will stink like
            a monkey's butt however!

            best regards,
            Tar