Re: Collar for column tested

  • random9988
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
      > Hello all. As I mentioned some time ago I made a collar for my
      64mm

      > Greetz, Riku

      Hmm look at that, makes me wonder how far apart collars should be
      installed in a tall column to guarantee full function of the packing.

      Johan
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
        > <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
        > > Hello all. As I mentioned some time ago I made a collar for my
        > 64mm
        > >
        > > Greetz, Riku
        >
        > Hmm look at that, makes me wonder how far apart collars should be
        > installed in a tall column to guarantee full function of the
        packing.

        > Johan

        15cm sounds like a plan with amphora mesh. I'll propably try a
        perforated plate on 40mm column next.

        Greetz, Riku
      • Andrew Forsberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
          > > Hmm look at that, makes me wonder how far apart collars should be
          > > installed in a tall column to guarantee full function of the
          > packing.
          > >
          > > Johan
          >
          > 15cm sounds like a plan with amphora mesh. I'll propably try a
          > perforated plate on 40mm column next.
          >
          > Greetz, Riku

          Hi Riku,

          Any chance of a few pics? or diagrams? I'm fairly sure I know what you're
          getting at here, but would love to see all the same.

          Where are you going, conceptually, with the perforated plate? Sounds
          intriguing!

          Cheers
          Anders
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
            I uploaded a picture in Photo Albums > rkr > Reflux directing collar
            This is worthy improvement when there's coil on top of the packing
            situation. The end of the coil fits nicely inside the collar so it
            adds only 1-2cm extra height and is easy to make (few minutes). For
            larger columns I'd consider adding these inbetween the packing to
            improve reflux distribution.

            Now another interesting thing: my VM liebig developed a leak after
            the heads phase and I had to abort the run. So I added heads back to
            the boiler and swapped in my trusty spiral column. This time I was
            using 1 meter * 42mm column with perforated plate on top of the
            packing. I finished collecting heads this morning after 1 dl of
            incredibly nasty stuff. After that ~1 liter of pure ethanol has come
            out and distillation continues.

            64mm VM column with coil on top of 1 meter of mesh -> 1,5l of heads
            Same with collar -> 1 l of heads
            42mm * 1 meter CM column with perforated plate -> 0,1 l of heads

            I also achieved automated shutdown after the heads came out. This is
            starting to look good.

            Greetz, Riku