RE: [Distillers] Re :: Clearing

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Ryan, this information is offered as the way in which I have found the
      process to this date works best for me. One thing is certain, I will change
      things more as time goes by. Been at this hobby for a while now and run a
      few batches through. The way in which I pitch the yeast, ferment and siphon
      off the wash etc, has evolved over the time that I have practised this
      hobby. One thing is constant; I am forever learning and trying new ways of
      improving the process. I would encourage you too as well.

      (1) Relax this is a hobby, if you stick to the 8kg of sugar,
      approximately 20 litres of water (to make up a 25 litre wash) a packet of
      turbo yeast, or whatever to recipe on the yeast packet says, it is bloody
      hard to go wrong.

      (2) I use castor sugar, it dissolves easier and here it's actually
      cheaper than table sugar, go figure. I also buy in bulk (25kg bags.

      (3) First I add the 8kg of sugar, using the garden hose on high
      pressure a dissolve the sugar. This also has the benefit of adding oxygen to
      the water. I stop adding the water at the half full mark. I then toss in the
      turbo yeast and using the water from the garden hose again, I quickly stir
      the lot together vigorously to the full water mark.

      (4) I look to the weather forecast at this time of the year to try
      and save the yeast fermenting in temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius. If
      the temperature is below 20 degrees Celsius during the day, then use a
      heater.

      (5) I have tried clearing agents of different types. Now I just leave
      the fermented wash sit an extra week or two after fermentation has finished
      and wait for the solids to drop out of suspension. It will look like a weak
      urine colour when it's ready. I hardy use a hydrometer at all these days,
      only when I suspect a failure. Use your eyes, ears, nose and touch for they
      are your best guide. Sure initially you don't know what to expect, but by
      taking things slow, using your senses, taking measurements and writing
      notes, you will notice things when they are going wrong.

      (6) Leave the fermenting wash alone, once I have things bubbling away
      as they should, (I look at them once a day for the first few days to make
      sure they are bubbling) the next time I open the fermenter is when I am
      about to run it through the still. If you find you are consuming more
      alcohol than you are making, slow the drinking down or buy another
      fermenter, whatever, get yourself ahead of your demand, it will take the
      pressure off.

      (7) When it comes time to transfer the wash into the fermenter, I
      open the bottom tap on the fermenter and let it drain into the boiler,
      trying not to get too may solids as this is what smells when cooking.

      (8) I do a stripping run, its fast, the way I have things setup I
      don't have to adjust anything. Actually the wife turns it on during the week
      when all the neighbours are at work, this way the smell doesn't bother them.
      When I have enough, I then run the boiler again slowly through the
      refractionating column. The output is clean neutral 96% spirit.

      (9) Then it's a matter of watering it back to 40%, because I use town
      water I then run it through carbon, mainly to get the crap that is in the
      town water supply out. Use bottled water if you can afford it.

      It is then either used as is to make white spirit type drinks and liquors or
      soaked on oak for a couple of weeks for brown spirits. (Scotch, rum,
      bourbon, brandy.)

      Hope this helps, the beauty of these lists is that you can increase the
      already steep learning curve by listening to what others say, sort the gems
      out and ignore the rest, if it works for you, I am glad to have helped you
      as others have helped me.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      _____