Re :: Clearing

  • ryanv75
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      I reread the package for the turbo yeast,and it said it will not clear
      naturally. So i bought some sparkaliod. I put it in some boiling water
      and added it to the wash. I mixed it almost 4 times the strength,
      consideing I am using probably 10 times the yeast I am assuming to
      normal wine. My gravity measurements almost defy logic. I started at
      about 1.22 and two weeks later it stopped at 0.90. This is all at
      23-21 degrees celcius. My wash took over twice as long as stated, but
      this is
      because i tried to make it 20% as stated on the package, I also didnt
      use an air pump. Will i have any problems by using so much finings ?
      Will i have any problems because ive left my wash for 3-4 days after
      it has stabalised at 0.90 ? Thanks again.
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Ryan, this information is offered as the way in which I have found the
        process to this date works best for me. One thing is certain, I will change
        things more as time goes by. Been at this hobby for a while now and run a
        few batches through. The way in which I pitch the yeast, ferment and siphon
        off the wash etc, has evolved over the time that I have practised this
        hobby. One thing is constant; I am forever learning and trying new ways of
        improving the process. I would encourage you too as well.

        (1) Relax this is a hobby, if you stick to the 8kg of sugar,
        approximately 20 litres of water (to make up a 25 litre wash) a packet of
        turbo yeast, or whatever to recipe on the yeast packet says, it is bloody
        hard to go wrong.

        (2) I use castor sugar, it dissolves easier and here it's actually
        cheaper than table sugar, go figure. I also buy in bulk (25kg bags.

        (3) First I add the 8kg of sugar, using the garden hose on high
        pressure a dissolve the sugar. This also has the benefit of adding oxygen to
        the water. I stop adding the water at the half full mark. I then toss in the
        turbo yeast and using the water from the garden hose again, I quickly stir
        the lot together vigorously to the full water mark.

        (4) I look to the weather forecast at this time of the year to try
        and save the yeast fermenting in temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius. If
        the temperature is below 20 degrees Celsius during the day, then use a
        heater.

        (5) I have tried clearing agents of different types. Now I just leave
        the fermented wash sit an extra week or two after fermentation has finished
        and wait for the solids to drop out of suspension. It will look like a weak
        urine colour when it's ready. I hardy use a hydrometer at all these days,
        only when I suspect a failure. Use your eyes, ears, nose and touch for they
        are your best guide. Sure initially you don't know what to expect, but by
        taking things slow, using your senses, taking measurements and writing
        notes, you will notice things when they are going wrong.

        (6) Leave the fermenting wash alone, once I have things bubbling away
        as they should, (I look at them once a day for the first few days to make
        sure they are bubbling) the next time I open the fermenter is when I am
        about to run it through the still. If you find you are consuming more
        alcohol than you are making, slow the drinking down or buy another
        fermenter, whatever, get yourself ahead of your demand, it will take the
        pressure off.

        (7) When it comes time to transfer the wash into the fermenter, I
        open the bottom tap on the fermenter and let it drain into the boiler,
        trying not to get too may solids as this is what smells when cooking.

        (8) I do a stripping run, its fast, the way I have things setup I
        don't have to adjust anything. Actually the wife turns it on during the week
        when all the neighbours are at work, this way the smell doesn't bother them.
        When I have enough, I then run the boiler again slowly through the
        refractionating column. The output is clean neutral 96% spirit.

        (9) Then it's a matter of watering it back to 40%, because I use town
        water I then run it through carbon, mainly to get the crap that is in the
        town water supply out. Use bottled water if you can afford it.

        It is then either used as is to make white spirit type drinks and liquors or
        soaked on oak for a couple of weeks for brown spirits. (Scotch, rum,
        bourbon, brandy.)

        Hope this helps, the beauty of these lists is that you can increase the
        already steep learning curve by listening to what others say, sort the gems
        out and ignore the rest, if it works for you, I am glad to have helped you
        as others have helped me.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

        I reread the package for the turbo yeast,and it said it will not clear
        naturally. So i bought some sparkaliod. I put it in some boiling water
        and added it to the wash. I mixed it almost 4 times the strength,
        consideing I am using probably 10 times the yeast I am assuming to
        normal wine. My gravity measurements almost defy logic. I started at
        about 1.22 and two weeks later it stopped at 0.90. This is all at
        23-21 degrees celcius. My wash took over twice as long as stated, but
        this is
        because i tried to make it 20% as stated on the package, I also didnt
        use an air pump. Will i have any problems by using so much finings ?
        Will i have any problems because ive left my wash for 3-4 days after
        it has stabalised at 0.90 ? Thanks again.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c266dkr/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1075782415/A=1945637/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Defa
        ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4116730> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=184889209>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links