Re: [Distillers] Re: thermostats

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "BOKAKOB" <bokakob@...>
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 5:09 PM

      > That is only one end of the equation. Of course it is good what you say.
      And it is correct (hey pay attention to my signature), but I think that
      variac or any other means of adjusting voltage is very necessary thing.

      ------------------------------

      Why necessary? What's wrong with a few good power settings? I can't quite
      think of a time when I've thought to myself: "Sheesh, I really wish I could
      add another 35W to my still's boiler. It's really very necessary."

      Normally I'd just bring the wash to the boil, lower the power input
      considerably but keep it simmering, get a column equilibrium, and when the
      tails come through heat it up again to speed the dregs along. Where would
      fine tuning of power input be required?

      I'm not sure about the situation with pot stills -- I imagine you'd want
      more control not to scorch the grain, for instance. Then again, you'd likely
      be running that on a stove top or with an LPG / Butane / Propane burner.

      Anyhow, seeing as so many folk build them I'm guess I'm missing something --
      what use is the extra resolution in Watt control? Do you vary the amount of
      power on a batch by batch basis, or mid-run, or what, and why?

      Cheers
      Anders