column packing

  • David Rowlands
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 17, 2000
      Given that I can increase reflux and therefore hopefully the a/v yield by
      putting stainless steel potscrubbers in the column - is there a guideline to
      how much I should put in? If I were to go the marble option - would two
      marbles be better than the current one?

      Is 70% a/v a good output for a reflux still so should I be content with
      that?
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 17, 2000
        Subject: [Distillers] column packing

        From: "David Rowlands" <davidr@...>

        Given that I can increase reflux and therefore hopefully the a/v yield by
        putting stainless steel potscrubbers in the column - is there a guideline to
        how much I should put in? If I were to go the marble option - would two
        marbles be better than the current one?

        Is 70% a/v a good output for a reflux still so should I be content with
        that?

        Hi David,

        I think Brian has answered that one about 'how much' in his reply to Aaron.
        The nice thing about SS scrubbers is not only the fantastic surface to
        volume ratio, but their flexiblity. A reasonably loose packing is what you
        should aim for - enough to let the vapour rise through the liquid cascading
        down. A rough and ready check is to see if you can breathe through the
        packed column without any hint of impedance (don't do that too long unless
        you want a CO2 jag!). 70% is poor even for a straightforward pot still. A
        well designed reflux column, operated with patience so it can work in
        equilibrium all the time, is perfectly capable of producing 95% with no hint
        of congeners. This is the maximum you can get without further chemical/low
        pressure treatment and distillation. Drop me a line to mike@...
        with details of your set-up and I will be very pleased to offer any advice I
        can.

        Mike

        ----

        ----
      • voodoo_klan@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2001
          dear friends

          as i was walking around Petsmart in the united states i came across a
          medium that i thought would work perfect as column packing. if
          anyone has any suggestions or concrerns about safety or anything else
          please email back.

          found the corporate website for the product although not too much
          info on it. about the same amout thats on the box. please write back.

          http://www.hydor.com/index_en.htm

          made by hydor,
          called hyker,
          used as fiter media,
          inert ceramic cylinders,
          highly porous structure,
          offers a large surface area,
          absolutely non-toxic....

          what does everyone think???????
        • klcampbell

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
              << Voodoo,be cautious of ,1,packing for your column that is "highly porous"

              Why?
              ---
            • voodoo_klan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                ok friends i'm currently going for a second round of opinions
                heres my origanal posts

                keep in ming that i am currently using ss pot scrubbers...but always
                interested in upgradeing

                heres my origanl post

                -----------------------------
                dear friends

                as i was walking around Petsmart in the united states i came across a
                medium that i thought would work perfect as column packing. if
                anyone has any suggestions or concrerns about safety or anything else
                please email back.

                found the corporate website for the product although not too much
                info on it. about the same amout thats on the box. please write back.

                http://www.hydor.com/index_en.htm

                made by hydor,
                called hyker,
                used as fiter media,
                inert ceramic cylinders,
                highly porous structure,
                offers a large surface area,
                absolutely non-toxic....

                what does everyone think???????
              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                  > http://www.hydor.com/index_en.htm
                  > made by hydor, called hyker, inert ceramic cylinders,

                  Look like a suitable alternative to use as raschig rings (if you wanted to
                  go down that path). They'll have less surface area per volume than
                  scrubbers (thus not give the same performance - eg you'll need a taller
                  column to get the same results as now), but likewise will be less prone to
                  clogging up with gunge - say you find that your column is really sensitive
                  about keeping clean or else it floods on you. I don't think being porous is
                  a good thing - it wont aid the alcohol-water interchange unless you can get
                  both the vapour & reflux to be in the pores together at the same time
                  (unlikely ?).

                  Tony
                • ywfbi
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001

                    > made by hydor,
                    > called hyker,
                    > used as fiter media,
                    > inert ceramic cylinders,
                    > highly porous structure,
                    > offers a large surface area,
                    > absolutely non-toxic....
                    >
                    > what does everyone think???????

                    Dont know what happened to my last post but here goes again.....

                    Your definatly on the right track, however the are a few things we
                    need to consider. Firstly to lower the HETP we need to increase
                    the 'avaliable' SA. That being the amount of surface that is 'wet'
                    and avaliable for vapour to interact with it.
                    The problem here is that the majority of the SA of this packing is
                    inside the pourous structure, which being so fine is not avaliable.
                    Think of a fine sponge, when wet it holds alot of water. Where does
                    the water go? Inside the pours. Once they are fill there is no way
                    for vapour to interact with the liquid inside unless you squeeze it
                    out first (try blowing through a wet sponge). Saying this I would
                    expect no improvments over a simalar non pourous material. Which
                    would have the advantage of being easily cleaned. Those pours will
                    trap pretty much anything you put in there.

                    If you want to lower your HETP (which of course we all do) I would
                    suggest sticking with S/S, but along the same lines as you were
                    thinking, I would make it finer. There is alot of SA to be gained by
                    using very fine S/S turnings. Heres another thought, if you increase
                    the diameter of your coloumb (within reason) you can pack more S/S in
                    whilst either increasing or retaining your current level of
                    fractional voids (lessen the chance of flooding). The advantage here
                    is that you can lower the HETP rather than adding height and another
                    beer crate to read the thermonitor! I know height is the easist way,
                    but the roof has to be considered!
                  • foutzdj
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                      I have a Pot still with a two foot long arm. The arm angles up at a 45
                      degree angle then turns 90 degrees down into the condenser. I run from
                      60% to 70%. Has anyone put copper scrubbers in their pot still to try
                      increasing the alcohol percentage? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
                    • paul
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                        hi i've been experimenting with my potstill and it went from 40 % to 65% on the first run after i used potscrubbers ,seems to take a little of the flavour as well but not a lot as it still runs quite fast compared to the reflux still.paul
                        I have a Pot still with a two foot long arm. The arm angles up at a 45
                        degree angle then turns 90 degrees down into the condenser. I run from
                        60% to 70%. Has anyone put copper scrubbers in their pot still to try
                        increasing the alcohol percentage? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • jfpottery
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                          I have a copper mesh reflux still. The pakage the mesh came in said it
                          was enough for a 36 inch 2 inch column. I ended up with [ 5]4 inch
                          rolls giving me 20 inches. Did I roll them too tight? or is this ok.
                          I've done four runs and it seems ok but would it be better to add more
                          or loosen up what I have?
                        • Lindsay Williams
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                            Strange you only got 20" worth. It is darned hard to overtighten the
                            rolls. I would fill the column and if that means buying more, so be it.

                            Cheers,
                            Lindsay.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jfpottery" <jfpottery@y...> wrote:
                            > I have a copper mesh reflux still. The pakage the mesh came in said it
                            > was enough for a 36 inch 2 inch column. I ended up with [ 5]4 inch
                            > rolls giving me 20 inches. Did I roll them too tight? or is this ok.
                            > I've done four runs and it seems ok but would it be better to add more
                            > or loosen up what I have?
                          • Mike Nixon
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                              Lindsay Williams wrote:
                              Subject: [Distillers] Re: column packing

                              Strange you only got 20" worth. It is darned hard to overtighten the
                              rolls. I would fill the column and if that means buying more, so be it.

                              Cheers,
                              Lindsay.
                              I would be interested in what mesh he is using. I know it can't be the
                              Amphora mesh for that rolls to form slugs 15cm (5.9 inches) long, and I've
                              never found anyone who is strong enough to wind it too tight.

                              Any clues "jfpottery"?

                              All the best,
                              Mike N