Re: Scrubber Height/location in Reflux Column

  • physkid@raidersfan.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      My first thoughts are to put the scrubbers down low. My train of
      thought runs like this: The area with the scrubbers will do better
      refluxing, although the "empty" parts of the column will help
      fractionate from the height alone. With the scrubbers up high, the
      vapors that reach them will only be slightly higher alcohol purity
      than those leaving the pot and the vapors that leave the scrubbers
      (which should be significantly higher proof) will go directly to the
      condensor. With the scrubbers down low, the vapors leaving the
      scrubbers (higher proof) will get further help with the added height
      before the condensor. Since the scrubber section should do so much
      better than the empty section, the small change in proof of what goes
      into the scrubber section would be outweighed by any additional
      refluxing of the vapors that leave the scrubbers. Also, with the
      scrubbers at the bottom, any liquids that condense above them will
      flow down and over the scrubbers (more vapor liquid contact = better
      refluxing) with the scrubbers up high in your column, any liquids
      that condense in the "empty" sections will just drip back into the
      pot.

      Did that make any sense? Just thoughts off the top of my head so I
      could be missing something big.

      I guess you could just do two controlled runs in both configurations
      and report the results :)

      happy hooching,

      andrew

      --- In Distillers@y..., mrdripman@y... wrote:
      > I have a new reflux still - a modified "Home Distillation" design.
      > Main mod is to put the reflux tubes at the top of the column.
      Others