Only 88%

  • pilch@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2001
      A couple of questions for the group:
      1 I have a 25 ltr still with a 1380w element with a 'Stillmaker"
      head. I have the tower filled with s/steel scrubbers and no matter
      what I do with the cooling water flow I still only get 88% spirit,
      any help would be appreciated.

      2 I noticed on Jim May's photos of his still that he used what
      appeared to be two needle valves on the upper pipe. Jim can you put
      some light on this matter and tell me if they are s/steel valves and
      if so where did you get them?.
      By the way Jim, she's a mean looking piece of equipment.
      T.I.A
      Pilch
    • hillbillyman50@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2001
        ---

        Pilch

        Yes I have two S/Steel needle valves. one for the cooling water for
        the condenser and one for the Reflux column cooling water. My valves
        came form a hardware store.

        Homer

        In Distillers@y..., pilch@t... wrote:
        > A couple of questions for the group:
        > 1 I have a 25 ltr still with a 1380w element with a 'Stillmaker"
        > head. I have the tower filled with s/steel scrubbers and no matter
        > what I do with the cooling water flow I still only get 88% spirit,
        > any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > 2 I noticed on Jim May's photos of his still that he used what
        > appeared to be two needle valves on the upper pipe. Jim can you put
        > some light on this matter and tell me if they are s/steel valves
        and
        > if so where did you get them?.
        > By the way Jim, she's a mean looking piece of equipment.
        > T.I.A
        > Pilch
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
          >I have a 25 ltr still with a 1380w element with a 'Stillmaker"
          >head. I have the tower filled with s/steel scrubbers and no matter
          >what I do with the cooling water flow I still only get 88% spirit,
          >any help would be appreciated.

          Pilch,

          How tall is your column ? (taller than 1m would be prefered)
          While you're at it, what diameter ? (should be greater approx 1.5 inch for
          a 1380W)

          How many "pass-through" tubes do you have (you may need a few more, or a
          better version of them - eg how about a small internal cooling coil there -
          anything to increase the cooling surface area)

          Tony