Bitters

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22 5:19 PM
      Dick's Encyclopedia, 1875, contains a number of Bitters recipes
      including a supposedly Angostura Bitters. See -
      http://www.thelitterbox.org/librum/i-dicks/93.htm
      Also -
      http://www.thelitterbox.org/librum/i-sacof/227.htm
      Recipe 823 for 'Brandy Bitters' looks like a Campari style bitters
      because of the orange peel and cochineal coloring. The word 'brandy'
      I gather is used in a generic sense and most likely is an unaged
      spirit. The gentian is the main bittering agent and the other
      ingredients are flavoring agents but the addition of 8 litres of
      water to 1 litre of brandy seems rather high though. I have scaled
      the recipe down and converted to metric. It is a simple recipe for
      the homedistiller who can adjust the water quantity to taste.

      Bitters
      Gentian root 350g
      Dry orange peel 250g
      Cardamon seed 100g
      Cinnamon 15g
      Cochineal 15g (you could use cochineal coloring)
      Alcohol 1 litre
      Water 8 litres

      Infuse botanicals in the brandy for 10 days, add water, filter.

      wal
    • edbar44
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2 5:36 AM
        I stumbled across this martini recipe and was pleasantly surprised.

        http://liquor.com/articles/behind-the-drink-the-martini/

        I'm a vodka martini drinker and thought I would try this orange bitter drink out, I've tried it in both gin and vodka, both purchased and home made and really like the taste. I was especially impressed that few drops take away and side taste that may be present in the home distilled product.