Dilute

  • pilch@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2001
      Tony just a question on the dilution method you posted on the 5th
      Feb.Every time I use your method I seem to get an answer equel to one
      (1) too many. When working out your example you posted I always end
      up with 2.75l instesd of 1.75l. When I went to the distiller/dilute
      site and used the calculator it worked out just fine. Any idea what
      I'm doing wrong?. I am taking the 1 off by the way.
      T.I.A
      Pilch.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2001
        Pilch

        the maths was ..
        >If you want to know how much water to add to dilute your alcohol down,
        >just multiply the amount of spirits you have by (strong/weak) - 1
        >
        >eg: if you want to dilute 2L of 75% alcohol down to 40%, you will
        >need to add 2 x ((75/40)-1) = 1.75L of water

        Yeah, simple mistake ..you're doing the -1 last.
        What I should have said, more precisely was ....

        "multiply the amount of spirits you have by ( (strong/weak) -1)"

        eg subtract the one from (strong/weak) before multiplying by quantity

        ok ....strong/weak = 75/40 = 1.875
        subtract 1 = 1.875 - 1 = 0.875
        multiply by litres of spirit (2) = 2 x 0.875 = 1.75 L water to add

        how this works is a rearangement of ......

        in 2 litres of 75% alcohol, there is 1.5L of pure (100%) alcohol
        eg 2 x 0.75 = 1.5
        to use 1.5L of pure, diluted to 40%, you need a total of 1.5/0.40 = 3.75 L
        you know you've got 2L of spirit, thus you need to add (3.75-2) = 1.75L of water

        so ....(( 2 x 0.75 ) / 0.40 ) - 2
        which is the same as 2 x ( (75/40) - 1)

        Tony just a question on the dilution method you posted on the 5th
        Feb.Every time I use your method I seem to get an answer equel to one
        (1) too many. When working out your example you posted I always end
        up with 2.75l instesd of 1.75l. When I went to the distiller/dilute
        site and used the calculator it worked out just fine. Any idea what
        I'm doing wrong?. I am taking the 1 off by the way.
        T.I.A
        Pilch.
      • Pete Sayers
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2001
          Has anybody used this method.
          Divide the strength of alcohol you have , by the strength of alcohol you
          require,
          Multiply by the volume
          Then minus the volume.
          ie 95% divided by 40% =2.375 x 3.3=7.8375 minus 3.3=4.5375litres
          The figure 4.5375 litres is the amount of water you will have to add to 3.3
          litres of alcohol @ 95% to reduce the concentration to 40%
          Pete

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2001
            Pete, I use a similar formula to the one you posted and when compared
            to Tony's I come up with the same answer. ( Now that is)

            My Method:
            Multiply amount collected by the percentage collected divided by the
            percentage required minus amount collected equels water required.

            My way........ 3ltrs. x 94 / 40 - 3 = 4.05ltrs water.

            Your way...... 94 / 40 x 3 - 3 = 4.05ltrs water.

            Tony's way.... 94 x 40 = 2.35 - 1 = 1.35 x 3 = 4.05ltrs water.

            Thanks Tony and Pete, looks like we all have different ways of
            cutting but it is handy to know of other ways.
            I picked up my way of cutting from some info sent to my neighbour
            from Brisbane. The neighbour is a beer brewer and a fine drop at
            that. Another thing,has anyone got a copy of a temp. conversion chart
            for working out the correct temp. of spirit over 20 deg. Eg: spirit
            taken off the still at 94% at a temp. of 30 deg is not 94% therefore
            it has to be converted to its correct temp. before cutting. I have
            such a chart but it is calculated in lots of 10 and I was looking for
            one that is in half or even quarter increments.
            Pilch.