Vinegar

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2001
      Sent last week (to the wrong address!!)

      Hi group,

      I was thinking of a recent posting that was answered by (I think) Ted Palmer regarding bacteria in vinegar.

      He said it was okay to use distilled?? vinegar as opposed to vinegar which may contain bacteria, which would destroy the alcohol.

      So, fair comment. My question. Can I use ordinary vinegar which has been boiled or had the temp. raised to a point that would kill off the bacteria and render them harmless?

      Regards,

      Bob.

      PS. How's the weather around the world? Middlemount - cool today (for this time of year) 5:00 AEST and 30ºC.
    • Ted Palmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2001
        You betcha! But have you ever smelled boiling vinegar? best use a pressure cooker for this.
        _____________
        Ted Palmer
        tpalmer@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2013
          Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!
        • mav
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
            I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.

            http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8

            Only one link works but thats a start.

            Cheres
            Marc

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
              That tinyurl did not work, try this one

              http://tinyurl.com/lry8wey

              cheers
              Marc

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

              > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
              >
              > Only one link works but thats a start.
              >
              > Cheres
              > Marc
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                I am not a vinegar fan but I became interested in balsamic vinegar after watching a UK TV show.  True Balsamic vinegar is wine based vinegar that is stored in oak barrels for a minimum of 12 year.   Much cheaper balsamic like vinegars are stored in barrels for a few months.

                The vinegar process is very simple, and you can find many vids on YouTube.  Most of the vid showed ready vinegar within 3 weeks.

                Vinegar is the opposite of brewing alcohol.  We brew to produce alcohol, but vinegar is the conversion of that alcohol into vinegar.  I found vinegar process very interesting in that if I brew correctly my wash will never turn into vinegar before its distilled.  There was a discussion pertaining to bacteria that consumed alcohol.  In some cases, vinegar is produced by feeding a "Mother" culture that consumes all alcohol.  In one vid they even added sugar to the liquid medium.

                All brewers should learn how to make vinegar, so they can understand how to prevent their wash from turning into vinegar.

                I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.

                http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8

                Only one link works but thats a start.

                Cheres
                Marc

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@...> wrote:

                > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

              • donna ricketts
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
                  >
                  > Only one link works but thats a start.
                  >
                  > Cheres
                  > Marc
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!

                  This is from ChefSteve vinegar is the easy thing to do just leave a bottle of wine with a loose top for a week or two poof "vinegar"
                  you can mash tart apples strain through cheesecloth bottle with small amount cheese cloth and let it stand 1/6 months vinegar. Just type on this box what you want ie:how to make vinegar...good luck
                • donna ricketts
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                    > That tinyurl did not work, try this one
                    >

                    > http://tinyurl.com/lry8wey
                    >
                    > cheers
                    > Marc
                    >
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I don't know anything about making vinegar but I did find this on this site through the search funtion.
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/mtpyvk8
                    > >
                    > > Only one link works but thats a start.
                    > >
                    > > Cheres
                    > > Marc
                    > >
                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dorin" <dorinbalmus@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!
                    > > >
                    > >Dorin un less you have a spare 12 years on your hands and 5 different size and flavor wood barrels you won't make balsamic. It is a long term process to get the complex taste. plain vinegar only takes a few weeks.....from ChefSteve

                  • Dan Lago
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013

                      Here is an article from The Beverage People with some simple info:  http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/pdf/webvinegarpdf/vinegar.pdf

                      Can someone help me, point me with docs. about vinegar and balsamic vinegar...please!