agave must

  • Matt SF
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hello all-

      well I've been planning a tequila endeavor for a while and the stars have
      finally aligned, so to speak. I finally put a must (wort? wash? :-) into
      the fermenter last night.

      More or less following the Papazian method of preparing a mead, I started
      with 1.5 gal water and added 15 lbs agave nectar. In this case, 12
      lbs "amber" and 3 pounds "light" just cause that's what I have laying
      around. I added 1/4 tsp. irish moss to help coagulate/bind any proteins
      and to aid in clarifying later.

      Brought it to a boil for about 15 minutes, not much stuff collected on top
      to skim off. Poured into fermenter containing ice and cold water and
      topped off with same until 5 gallons was reached. Aerated for a while
      with airstone and inline ULPA filter, a lot of fine foam was produced so i
      knocked it down with just a bit of added canola oil to the must.

      I wanted to make sure the acid levels were ok but honey tends to be fairly
      acidic, and the same seems to be true with agave nectar: the must came out
      to about a pH of 4.3 ... should be a good environ for the yeast. Thus I
      added no acid to the must. Also the water in SF tends to be hard enough,
      so I added no gypsum. All the water used was pushed through an inline
      charcoal filter.

      The Brix reading came out to 23, which ProMash says is 1.124 SG. Once it
      cooled off enough, I rehydrated some DADY and pitched it with some yeast
      nutrient.

      I'll let you all know how it proceeds. I wonder if I should have diluted
      it a bit more to get the gravity a bit lower, but I guess that's part of
      the guesswork with this yeast and its efficiency.

    • Tarvus
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:

        > with 1.5 gal water and added 15 lbs agave nectar. In this case, 12
        > lbs "amber" and 3 pounds "light" just cause that's what I have
        laying
        > around.

        Hello Matt,

        What exactly is this agave nectar and where does one acquire it? How
        much does the stuff cost per pound?
        Thanks!
        Tarvus
      • Matt SF
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
          On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:44:30PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
          > Hello Matt,
          >
          > What exactly is this agave nectar and where does one acquire it? How
          > much does the stuff cost per pound?
          > Thanks!
          > Tarvus

          Hi Tarvus

          Agave nectar is the cooked down and concentrated sugars from the Blue
          Weber agave plant. It has been used for some time as an alternative
          sweetener since it has a higher fructuse:glucose ratio and a low glycemic
          index value. Thus it's a great sweetener for diabetics and those on
          low-carb diets.

          It is getting harder to find in bulk, due to the various agave shortages
          In Mexico, but it's not yet impossible. In the States, Sweet Cactus
          Farms offers it. Last I heard, their dark agave nectar was running about
          $200/60lbs in bulk.

          In terms of using it to make a homemade tequila, I know that Donald (oft
          cited on Tony's pages) has done it but I still feel like I'm striking out
          into somewhat uncharted territory. According to the article in The
          Alcohol Textbook, tequila tends to be a more heads-influenced spirit for
          its flavor profile. This seems to run counter to whiskies which are
          supposedly more tails-influenced in their production.

          If anyone has any suggestions/comments on this, please post them.
          thanks!
          -Matt SF
        • CornFed (Randy)
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
            http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/ This is one of the best and
            informative tequila webpages that I have found.

            -----
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
              Normally tequila/mezcal is made from baked agaves. The process adds a
              smokey character to the drink. Baked agaves were eaten as food by the
              indigenous tribes. I have not seen any confirmation that they
              fermented baked agaves - the Spanish colonists might have developed
              this technique to produce tequila. The indigenous peoples used to
              also tap the agave plant daily to collect the sweet sap and then
              ferment it to make a wine. This would not have that smokey character
              which not everyone likes anyway.
              Does anyone know if a mezcal is also made from the collected agave
              sap? If so it would join the sugarcane juice and palm sap group of
              spirits.
              For the traditional baked method see:
              http://www.mezcal.com/mez.html
              http://www.funflc.org.ve/licor.htm

              Wal

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
              > On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:44:30PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
              > > Hello Matt,
              > >
              > > What exactly is this agave nectar and where does one acquire it?
              How
              > > much does the stuff cost per pound?
              > > Thanks!
              > > Tarvus
              >
              > Hi Tarvus
              >
              > Agave nectar is the cooked down and concentrated sugars from the
              Blue
              > Weber agave plant. It has been used for some time as an alternative
              > sweetener since it has a higher fructuse:glucose ratio and a low
              glycemic
              > index value. Thus it's a great sweetener for diabetics and those
              on
              > low-carb diets.
              >
              > It is getting harder to find in bulk, due to the various agave
              shortages
              > In Mexico, but it's not yet impossible. In the States, Sweet
              Cactus
              > Farms offers it. Last I heard, their dark agave nectar was running
              about
              > $200/60lbs in bulk.
              >
              > In terms of using it to make a homemade tequila, I know that Donald
              (oft
              > cited on Tony's pages) has done it but I still feel like I'm
              striking out
              > into somewhat uncharted territory. According to the article in The
              > Alcohol Textbook, tequila tends to be a more heads-influenced
              spirit for
              > its flavor profile. This seems to run counter to whiskies which
              are
              > supposedly more tails-influenced in their production.
              >
              > If anyone has any suggestions/comments on this, please post them.
              > thanks!
              > -Matt SF
              > --
              -----
            • Tarvus
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                > I started with 1.5 gal water and added 15 lbs agave nectar. In
                this case, 12 lbs "amber" and 3 pounds "light" just cause that's what
                I have laying around.

                Hey Matt,

                Can you tell us approximately how many quarts of nectar it took to
                make up the 15 pounds you used in your recipe? I'm trying to figure
                out how much agave nectar to order and it looks like it's sold by the
                quart rather than by the pound.
                Thanks!
                Tar
              • Matt SF
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                  On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 06:34:36PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
                  > Can you tell us approximately how many quarts of nectar it took to
                  > make up the 15 pounds you used in your recipe? I'm trying to figure
                  > out how much agave nectar to order and it looks like it's sold by the
                  > quart rather than by the pound.
                  > Thanks!
                  > Tar

                  hmm I've only seen honey and the like sold by weight. But I checked out
                  the containers I received and it seems that 12 lbs is almost exactly a
                  gallon. So that's about 3 lbs/quart (maybe just a bit less weight).
                  Depending on the Brix/Plato/SG/etc of the nectar, the density can vary of
                  course; I'm not sure how much variation there is in the sugar content of
                  the light, amber (and/or dark), though, it may not be significant.

                  My fermentation is off to a lackluster start and I think it was the use of
                  a yeast that was too old. Also with something that has a high OG, mixing
                  up a yeast starter seems to be highly recommended. Ah well, live and
                  learn :-)

                • Matt SF
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                    On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 06:34:36PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
                    > out how much agave nectar to order and it looks like it's sold by the
                    > quart rather than by the pound.
                    > Thanks!
                    > Tar

                    Oh yes if you order it in smaller amounts, yes I didn't think of that :)
                    You'll notice that in those smaller amounts, it is fairly expensive. This
                    stuff isn't cheap no matter how you buy it but you can save a fair amount
                    if you buy in bulk.

                  • Tarvus
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:

                      > My fermentation is off to a lackluster start and I think it was the
                      use of
                      > a yeast that was too old. Also with something that has a high OG,
                      mixing
                      > up a yeast starter seems to be highly recommended. Ah well, live
                      and
                      > learn :-)

                      Thanks for this info, Matt! In my reading it appears most tequila is
                      fermented to about 6 or 7% alcohol commercially before distillation.
                      I think I will double the amount of water you used in your recipe
                      which should put the finished wash in about that range. That will be
                      easier on the yeast too, although I think I will still use a good
                      liquid yeast and starter anway.
                      best regards,
                      Tar
                    • Tarvus
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:

                        > hmm I've only seen honey and the like sold by weight. But I
                        checked out
                        > the containers I received and it seems that 12 lbs is almost
                        exactly a
                        > gallon. So that's about 3 lbs/quart (maybe just a bit less
                        weight).
                        > Depending on the Brix/Plato/SG/etc of the nectar, the density can
                        vary of
                        > course; I'm not sure how much variation there is in the sugar
                        content of
                        > the light, amber (and/or dark), though, it may not be significant.

                        Wow! This agave nectar is expensive stuff! With shipping cost
                        factored in, it looks like it's going to run about $6.00/pound or
                        more!

                        What size containers did you order it in, Matt? Did it make a
                        significant difference in cost?
                        Tar
                      • Tarvus
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)" <cornfed15@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/ This is one of the best and
                          > informative tequila webpages that I have found.

                          It is indeed an excellent reference Randy!

                          Thanks!
                          Tar
                        • Matt SF
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 11, 2004
                            On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 08:34:26PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
                            > Wow! This agave nectar is expensive stuff! With shipping cost
                            > factored in, it looks like it's going to run about $6.00/pound or
                            > more!
                            >
                            > What size containers did you order it in, Matt? Did it make a
                            > significant difference in cost?
                            > Tar

                            yes unfortunately it is rather highly priced item. Probably due to
                            several factors: processing and refining costs, shipping and
                            transportation costs, agave cultivation/availabilty problems, etc.

                            The batch I have I ordered a while back from a homebrew place in Texas and
                            at the time was paying a bit over $2/lb if I recall. But they haven't
                            been carrying it since then. That's why I suggested Sweet Cactus Farms.
                            Their 60lb/5gal pails run about $200 which puts the price at about
                            $3.30/lb. If you locate another bulk supplier please let us know!

                            So were you planning a diluted 5 gallon or 10 gallon fermentation?

                            BTW, don't ask on the Ian Chadwick forums are about distilling your own
                            tequila. I've seen others ask only to be regaled with 100 reasons why
                            they could never possibly do it. follow your bliss! :)

                          • Tarvus
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 18, 2004
                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                              > Hello all-
                              >
                              > well I've been planning a tequila endeavor for a while and the
                              stars have
                              > finally aligned, so to speak. I finally put a must (wort? wash? :-
                              ) into
                              > the fermenter last night.
                              >
                              > More or less following the Papazian method of preparing a mead, I
                              started
                              > with 1.5 gal water and added 15 lbs agave nectar. In this case, 12
                              > lbs "amber" and 3 pounds "light" just cause that's what I have
                              laying
                              > around. I added 1/4 tsp. irish moss to help coagulate/bind any
                              proteins
                              > and to aid in clarifying later.
                              >
                              > Brought it to a boil for about 15 minutes, not much stuff collected
                              on top
                              > to skim off. Poured into fermenter containing ice and cold water
                              and
                              > topped off with same until 5 gallons was reached. Aerated for a
                              while
                              > with airstone and inline ULPA filter, a lot of fine foam was
                              produced so i
                              > knocked it down with just a bit of added canola oil to the must.
                              >
                              > I wanted to make sure the acid levels were ok but honey tends to be
                              fairly
                              > acidic, and the same seems to be true with agave nectar: the must
                              came out
                              > to about a pH of 4.3 ... should be a good environ for the yeast.
                              Thus I
                              > added no acid to the must. Also the water in SF tends to be hard
                              enough,
                              > so I added no gypsum. All the water used was pushed through an
                              inline
                              > charcoal filter.
                              >
                              > The Brix reading came out to 23, which ProMash says is 1.124 SG.
                              Once it
                              > cooled off enough, I rehydrated some DADY and pitched it with some
                              yeast
                              > nutrient.
                              >
                              > I'll let you all know how it proceeds. I wonder if I should have
                              diluted
                              > it a bit more to get the gravity a bit lower, but I guess that's
                              part of
                              > the guesswork with this yeast and its efficiency.

                              Hey Matt,
                              Just curious. How is your agave must progressing? Anxious to hear
                              how your batch turns out!
                              Tar
                            • Matt SF
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 19, 2004
                                On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 04:56:55PM -0000, Tarvus wrote:
                                > Hey Matt,
                                > Just curious. How is your agave must progressing? Anxious to hear
                                > how your batch turns out!
                                > Tar

                                yo Tar

                                well I've had better fermentations :) Last I checked it had only fallen
                                to 21.6 Brix (from 23). I think the reasons for this are: the OG level
                                was very high; in the future I think I might do 15 lbs honey to 6 gallons
                                water, or so. Or reduce the amount of agave and keep it around 5 gallons.
                                Also, I used old yeast and rather old yeast nutrients. Now the yeast age
                                is a more important concern of course, but my yeast nutrient was getting
                                very long in the tooth!

                                I have checked my temperature and the Brewbelt is keeping it right around
                                72F, so that's not an issue. Also I aerated manually and with an airstone
                                prior to pitching so I don't think starting oxygen was an issue either.

                                I wasn't trying to be "cheap" with regard to my yeast etc but I just
                                thought I could get by with what I had laying around. Yeast and its
                                needs are a small expense; no more cutting corners for me :)

                                There may be hope to speed up this fermentation, yet. If things don't
                                move along soon enough, I'll take the 'stuck fermentation' attack plan and
                                might pitch some new yeast in the hopes to jumpstart progress.

                              • markapp
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 29, 2005
                                  -regards matt if you are still around how did this project come out? -

                                  -----
                                • Calif Shiner
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 31, 2005
                                    Help! Caught the item here where you are correlating the Brix reading with SG. ProMash? Have been looking for a reference of Brix to Specific Gravity.
                                    -regards matt if you are still around how did this project come out? -
                                    - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                                    > Hello all-
                                    >
                                    > well I've been planning a tequila endeavor for a while and the
                                    stars have
                                    > finally aligned, so to speak. I finally put a must (wort? wash? :-
                                    ) into
                                    > the fermenter last night.
                                    >
                                    > More or less following the Papazian method of preparing a mead, I
                                    started
                                    > with 1.5 gal water and added 15 lbs agave nectar. In this case, 12
                                    > lbs "amber" and 3 pounds "light" just cause that's what I have
                                    laying
                                    > around. I added 1/4 tsp. irish moss to help coagulate/bind any
                                    proteins
                                    > and to aid in clarifying later.
                                    >
                                    > Brought it to a boil for about 15 minutes, not much stuff collected
                                    on top
                                    > to skim off. Poured into fermenter containing ice and cold water
                                    and
                                    > topped off with same until 5 gallons was reached. Aerated for a
                                    while
                                    > with airstone and inline ULPA filter, a lot of fine foam was
                                    produced so i
                                    > knocked it down with just a bit of added canola oil to the must.
                                    >
                                    > I wanted to make sure the acid levels were ok but honey tends to be
                                    fairly
                                    > acidic, and the same seems to be true with agave nectar: the must
                                    came out
                                    > to about a pH of 4.3 ... should be a good environ for the yeast.
                                    Thus I
                                    > added no acid to the must. Also the water in SF tends to be hard
                                    enough,
                                    > so I added no gypsum. All the water used was pushed through an
                                    inline
                                    > charcoal filter.
                                    >
                                    > The Brix reading came out to 23, which ProMash says is 1.124 SG.
                                    Once it
                                    > cooled off enough, I rehydrated some DADY and pitched it with some
                                    yeast
                                    > nutrient.
                                    >
                                    > I'll let you all know how it proceeds. I wonder if I should have
                                    diluted
                                    > it a bit more to get the gravity a bit lower, but I guess that's
                                    part of
                                    > the guesswork with this yeast and its efficiency.
                                    >
                                    > --

                                  • markapp
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 31, 2005
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Calif Shiner" <califshiner@t...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Help! Caught the item here where you are correlating the Brix
                                      reading with SG. ProMash? Have been looking for a reference of
                                      Brix to Specific Gravity.

                                      Service.

                                    • markapp
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 31, 2005
                                        I don't understand i did not post this and yet my name is listed as
                                        the author. I was inquiring about the old post by matt regarding a
                                        agave syrup must.regards--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "markapp"