RE: [Distillers] Galvanised Flange again

  • Rutger
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
      > Finally, someone suggested to cover the inside of the
      > flange whit solder. The idea is good but the thing is
      > that I tryed to but the solder doesn't stick on it. I
      > can't solder it. I guess that
      > galvanised steel isn't solderable.

      That was me.
      I wrote also that you would need some flux to use solder on blank iron or
      steel. Here in Europe this flux is calles S39 or FLUX-6. It is a liquid or
      powder (in that case it is potassium fluoro-borate) that prevents the steel
      from forming oxide. I have done it many times, it works very fine!

      Rutger
    • Laurens W
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
        You don't solder galvanised steel, galvanising steel is to stop it from
        rusting, so why solder?

        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Maxime Belair
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
          It is in galvanised steel or at least it looks like
          and it is sold on this name. But trust me, it rust
          when it gets in contact whit hot vapors on the inside
          where you normally screw another fitting in. (in my
          case it's 2inch male brass fitting) See Max's Still in
          /Photos/ .

          That's why I want to cover it with tin solder. This
          will prevent rust and the bad metal smell that it
          causes in the still and in the final product.

          Max B.

          ====
          You don't solder galvanised steel, galvanising steel
          is to stop it from
          rusting, so why solder?

          Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • Robert Elliott
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
            Hi group,

            My guess would be that although it may be galvanised, the threaded section would have to be re tapped (re cut) after galvanising as the zinc would fill up the threads. This is possibly why it rusts near the threaded area.

            What you may have to careful of (even though it may take quite a time to happen) is that electrolysis will be set up between the dissimilar metals -zinc and brass. This used to happen when water pipes in old houses were once galvanised pipes with brass fittings on meters, taps etc.

            Hope this helps.

            Cheers,

            Bob.

            It is in galvanised steel or at least it looks like
            and it is sold on this name. But trust me, it rust
            when it gets in contact whit hot vapors on the inside
            where you normally screw another fitting in. (in my
            case it's 2inch male brass fitting) See Max's Still in
            /Photos/ .

            That's why I want to cover it with tin solder. This
            will prevent rust and the bad metal smell that it
            causes in the still and in the final product.

            Max B.

            ====
            You don't solder galvanised steel, galvanising steel
            is to stop it from
            rusting, so why solder?

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
              You can purchase 1.5" brass slip nut and the fixture that drains water from the kitchen sink. 1.5" slip nut fits neatly inside 2" copper pipe with some small gaps. If you take a regular heavy gauge electrical copper wire and wrap around this brass slip nut, you can solder it solid to the end of 2" copper pipe. You also can bang 2" copper pipe to take shape of the brass slip nut. Then use the stainless steel strainer which forms a nice flange to connect to your boiler. The strainer has a convenient thread to connect to the boiler. I use this setup with not 2" pipe but with 1.5" pipes. It solders very nicely, size is more than adequate for small production and slip nut even has a nylon gasket when you purchase the kit. It is cheap, easy and works very well.

              Maxime Belair <maxime_belair@...> wrote:Hi,

              I'm back whit this subject, I don't know if you
              remember I have a galvanised flange to make the
              connection between the lid and the column of my still.
              I tryed it whit water and the inside of the flange
              wich is in contact whit the hot vapors is almost
              instantly rusting and it gives a bad metal smell in
              the still and in the distilled water.

              I saw some photos of stills using galvanised and iron
              flanges, I don't know if anyone had the same problem?

              Finally, someone suggested to cover the inside of the
              flange whit solder. The idea is good but the thing is
              that I tryed to but the solder doesn't stick on it. I
              can't solder it. I guess that
              galvanised steel isn't solderable.

              A part of buying a brass flange, is there a solution
              to fix my galvanised flange?

              Happy new year again!

              Max B.

              I can be wrong I must say
              Cheers, Alex...

            • fourwayi33
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
                you can get silver solder to stick to steel with the right flux as
                someone mentioned above.
                The dire warning though is that when you take a torch to galvanized
                metal it can burn the zinc coating, the smoke from this is extremely
                toxic. one whiff can drop you insensible on the floor, burning torch,
                red hot bits and all... and two whiffs can end you.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair <maxime_belair@y...>
                wrote:
                --snip
                > Finally, someone suggested to cover the inside of the
                > flange whit solder. The idea is good but the thing is
                > that I tryed to but the solder doesn't stick on it. I
                > can't solder it. I guess that
                > galvanised steel isn't solderable.
                -snip
              • Maxime Belair
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Wow! I did it yesterday and nothing happened. Is this
                  danger exagerated, is a propane torch enough hot to
                  burn the zinc coating? Do someone knows more about
                  that?

                  Max B.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                    Normal steel does not _contain_ any zinc, only the outside is a thin layer.
                    It is poisonous, but only at a very high temp, which you are not likely to
                    reach with a simple propane torch. I had many whiffs (with a oxy-acetylene
                    torch) and i am still allright.
                    To be sure: sand it away.

                    Rutger

                  • Lee Fugatt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                      Copper is more expensive but easier to work with than galvanized steel. Maybe rethinking your flange design? Plexiglass and engine epoxy are safer to use than anything covered with zinc, a sleeve made of a long strip of truck inner tube might work with foil twixed the rubber and the pot surfaces eh. Lee

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                        That is the way mine works too! It was so easy to put together I kept
                        thinking it wouldn't work! Lee
[...]

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2004
                          Hi bokakob, I saw photos of your stills using an iron
                          flange. Did you had any problems whit it? Instant
                          rust? Bad metal smell?

                          Thank you,

                          Max B.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
                            No smells, but instant rust. That is why I changed it to a brass flange.

                            Maxime Belair <maxime_belair@...> wrote:Hi bokakob, I saw photos of your stills using an iron
                            flange. Did you had any problems whit it? Instant
                            rust? Bad metal smell?

                            Thank you,

                            Max B.

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT