Re: My smelly bread... Results

  • Tarvus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jestah_nz" <jestah@x> wrote:

      > The "silicon" tube sold at a pet store as air line ended up
      > melting.... the pot didnt get any hotter than 95c...

      Jestah, try a piece of plain vinyl tubing available from any hardware
      store. I use a piece of 5/8 inch vinyl tubing and have been using
      the same piece for the past 4 years with no problems. I also use a
      propane burner and probably use significantly more heat in BTU's
      during stripping runs than can be generated with most electric
      elements. The vinyl may get soft when heated, but it won't melt - at
      least not from the heat of a boiling wash. It definitely will not
      pollute your distillate.

      best regards,
      Tar
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
        Get some aquarium silicone and make a seal from that. Just grease
        well one of the surfaces and you'll have very good seal that lasts.

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jestah_nz" <jestah@x> wrote:
        > HI
        >
        > Over the last few days i have been distilling and tryed
        my "silicon"
        > tube to replace the dough mix i have been useing to seal my pot.
        >
        > The bread dose impart alot of smellyness and off tast to the
        > alcohol and tends to make the amout of heads and tails
        > increase.
        >
        > The "silicon" tube sold at a pet store as air line ended up
        > melting.... the pot didnt get any hotter than 95c...
        >
        > the cloudyness i found in the pot after a run wasnt present when
        > i uesd the tube.
        >
        > So i think i will try to find some other type of seal befor my next
        > batch.
        >
        > ( the above test were done with a VM system that was producing
        > 93-94%)
        >
        > Jestah
      • jeremyd6697
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
          I believe he said the silicone melted. Aquarium grade silicone is
          good for a number of things, but it just doesnt have the the heat
          tolerance needed for this type of application.

          I'd recommend looking for some gasket material that is used in water
          heating systems. Its is both safe, and has the high temperature
          tolerance you need.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
          wrote:
          > Get some aquarium silicone and make a seal from that. Just grease
          > well one of the surfaces and you'll have very good seal that lasts.
          >
          > Greetz, Riku
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jestah_nz" <jestah@x> wrote:
          > > HI
          > >
          > > Over the last few days i have been distilling and tryed
          > my "silicon"
          > > tube to replace the dough mix i have been useing to seal my pot.
          > >
          > > The bread dose impart alot of smellyness and off tast to the
          > > alcohol and tends to make the amout of heads and tails
          > > increase.
          > >
          > > The "silicon" tube sold at a pet store as air line ended up
          > > melting.... the pot didnt get any hotter than 95c...
          > >
          > > the cloudyness i found in the pot after a run wasnt present when
          > > i uesd the tube.
          > >
          > > So i think i will try to find some other type of seal befor my
          next
          > > batch.
          > >
          > > ( the above test were done with a VM system that was producing
          > > 93-94%)
          > >
          > > Jestah
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
            I understood it was an air hose that melted. Anyway, aquarium grade
            silicone works at least up to 100C and tolerates hot high % ethanol
            as tested by several people at this forum (most of them still seem to
            be alive :). If you need higher temps there are RTV type gasket
            silicones for internal combustion engines etc. being able to handle
            over 300C and work as well in our application.

            Greetz, Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jeremyd6697" <jeremyd6697@y...>
            wrote:
            > I believe he said the silicone melted. Aquarium grade silicone is
            > good for a number of things, but it just doesnt have the the heat
            > tolerance needed for this type of application.
            >
            > I'd recommend looking for some gasket material that is used in
            water
            > heating systems. Its is both safe, and has the high temperature
            > tolerance you need.
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            <abbababbaccc@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Get some aquarium silicone and make a seal from that. Just grease
            > > well one of the surfaces and you'll have very good seal that
            lasts.

            > > Greetz, Riku
            > >

            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jestah_nz" <jestah@x> wrote:
            > > > HI
            > > >
            > > > Over the last few days i have been distilling and tryed
            > > my "silicon"
            > > > tube to replace the dough mix i have been useing to seal my
            pot.

            > > > The bread dose impart alot of smellyness and off tast to the
            > > > alcohol and tends to make the amout of heads and tails
            > > > increase.
            > > >
            > > > The "silicon" tube sold at a pet store as air line ended up
            > > > melting.... the pot didnt get any hotter than 95c...
            > > >
            > > > the cloudyness i found in the pot after a run wasnt present
            when
            > > > i uesd the tube.
            > > >
            > > > So i think i will try to find some other type of seal befor my
            > next
            > > > batch.
            > > >
            > > > ( the above test were done with a VM system that was producing
            > > > 93-94%)
            > > >
            > > > Jestah
          • Andrew Forsberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
              Although do check Harry's notes: msg 16560 first. The aquarium grade
              silicone I bought (Selley's glass and window silicone) was acetic acid
              curing. Replacing this with the guttering sealant as suggested by Harry made
              a distinct improvement in the product's taste.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
                I used aquarium silicone, neutral cure clear silicone,
                greased the pot lid for easy release and its lasted 20 or 30
                brews with ABSOLUTELY no loss of adhesion or quality of
                seal. I marked the lid and pot so that the lid is ALLWAYS
                sitting in the same position to allow for irregularities in
                either lid or pot. The tube should state the temp range of
                the cured silicone ( may take several days to FULLY cure if
                applied in a thick layer) and also the recommended minimum
                and maximum joint thickness.
                I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this
                method.
                Mark