Re: [Distillers] Glycerine

  • tintin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
      Thanks

      tintin

      BOKAKOB <bokakob@...> wrote:
      It thickens the spirit and makes it "smooth." Too much of it and the your vodka will feel almost like jello. Try a table spoon for 500 mL

      tintin_milou92 <tintin_milou92@...> wrote:I have red that glycerine could be used to improve liquor quality.
      How to use it and in what quantities .

      Tintin

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      tintin_milou92

    • hexenwolfe
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
        It has been suggested that glycerine be used as a finishing and
        polishing agent to make vodka smoother. Here is some data about
        glycering for those that might be interested.
        Glycerine is a naturally occuring organic molecule that is
        manufactured by all animals. It is a major part of the animal fats
        known as triglycerides. Almost all animal fats such as lard, beef fat
        (tallow), mutton fat and other hard fats are triglycerides. These fats
        are called tri-glycerides because each molecule is made up of one
        glycerine molecule to which is attached three fatty acid molecules. A
        mono, or di glyceride fat such as is found in vegetable fats contains
        either one fatty acid molecule, or two fatty acids respectively.
        Glycerine itself is a molecule made of three connected carbon
        atoms, with an OH or hydroxl group at one end. This makes it an
        organic alcohol by classification. This also gives glycerine it's
        other name of glycerol. Either name is valid.
        Glycerine is a natural byproduct of the soap making process. When a
        triglyceride fat is reacted with lye, the fatty acids are broken away
        from the glycerol molecule. The end product is three molecules of soap
        and one leftover molecule of glycerine. This glycerine molecule is
        valuable so it is recovered from the soap and used in many ways.
        Pure glycerine is a clear, oily liquid with a very sweet taste.
        Think of mineral oil that tastes like honey. Another common name for
        glycerine is "sweet oil". Glycerine is not digestable by the human
        body. The oily texture, and sugary taste make it valuable as a calorie
        free food additive. It is used in MANY foods both regular and those
        intended for diabetics. Glycerine is also used in many industrial
        products. Undoubtedly the most famous use of glycerine is the
        explosive nitroglycerine. If a nitrogen atom is attached to each of
        carbon atoms in the glycerine backbone, then you have the explosive.
        Another famous use of glycerine is in cosmetics. The "oil" in "Oil of
        Olay" is glycerine. Many hand lotions use glycerine mixed with mineral
        oil and a little lanolin. The most well known in America is "Corn
        Huskers lotion".
        Moonshiners in the mountains of the USA called glycerine "Beading
        oil". A few drops of glycerine added to low proof moonshine would
        cause the moonshine to form "beads" around the edge of the jar like
        those created when high proof liquor is shaken. The sweet taste also
        concealed the harshness of poor quality moonshine. Glycerine is
        available from most brewing shops as a finishing agent for wines. It
        is also available at pharmacies for use as a sweetener or in
        compounding medicines.
        Glycerine is a completely safe and 100% natural compound.
      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
          Wow, I certainly know more about glycerine now than a couple of
          minutes ago. Thanks for info.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hexenwolfe" <hexenwolfe@y...> wrote:

          > It has been suggested that glycerine be used as a finishing and
          > polishing agent to make vodka smoother. Here is some data about
          > glycering for those that might be interested.
          snip
        • suitcase1499@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
            In a message dated 2/11/2005 10:19:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            linw@... writes:

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hexenwolfe" <hexenwolfe@y...> wrote:

            > It has been suggested that glycerine be used as a finishing and
            > polishing agent to make vodka smoother. Here is some data about
            > glycering for those that might be interested.
            snip

            How much would you add to say 750 ml or 1 liter??? Thanks

            Suitcase

          • Mark Wabster
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
              --- suitcase1499@... wrote:

              > Standard Time,
              > linw@... writes:
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hexenwolfe"
              > <hexenwolfe@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It has been suggested that glycerine be used as a
              > finishing and
              > > polishing agent to make vodka smoother. Here is
              > some data about
              > > glycering for those that might be interested.
              > snip
              >

              > How much would you add to say 750 ml or 1 liter???
              > Thanks

              I use a 5ml teaspoon per litre of 45-50%. Go up from
              there to taste. Makes quite a difference in taste
              tests I did with some willing victims :-) For the
              better!

              Cheerz Wably.

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            • hexenwolfe
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                Suitcase:
                A little glycerine goes a LONG ways. In my experience 5 ml in 1
                liter is often too much. I find that glycerine adds a lovely texture
                to moonshine, but it adds sweetness also. I do not like excessively
                sweet shine, so when I use it, I use just a drop or two per liter. It
                depends on the quality of the product you are starting with, and how
                sweet you like your drink. Start with 2 ml per liter and add it to
                taste mixing well after each addition.

                Cheers

                > How much would you add to say 750 ml or 1 liter??? Thanks
                >
                > Suitcase
              • Tony Ackland
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Moonshiners in the mountains of the USA called
                  glycerine "Beading
                  > oil". A few drops of glycerine added to low proof moonshine would
                  > cause the moonshine to form "beads" around the edge of the jar like
                  > those created when high proof liquor is shaken. The sweet taste
                  also
                  > concealed the harshness of poor quality moonshine. Glycerine is
                  > available from most brewing shops as a finishing agent for wines.

                  Thanks - I never knew what the "beading oil" was. Had presumed it
                  was something nasty. Not so bad after all.

                  Tony