Fwd: Re: Artifical flavourings

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dick<Dick@x> wrote:
      In message <476AA03A3204D3119E0B0000F8CD24900151DBAD@NZASEXCH02>,
      Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS) <Tony.Ackland@c...> writes
      >I tend to temper them with a little oak (chips and/or essence), and
      have
      >tried a touch of port/wine/honey etc.
      >What I REALLY want is to end up with something like a Laphroig (sp?)
      or
      >Lugavulin (sp?) (shit spelling - the ones from Islay) really strong
      with
      >peat, smoke etc. Any suggestions how to achieve this ?
      Two possible routes as far as I can see:

      1) Traditional - Only use water that has run off a peat hag & prepare
      the mash using a peat smoked malt. Double distil using a pot still
      rather than refluxing it.

      2) Add peat flavouring either before or after distillation.

      Which ever one you use the one thing you need is PEAT.

      Q1 Do you have peat beds in your country ?

      Q2 If answer to Q1 is Yes, is your wife as broad as she is tall (the
      Highlanders wife selection criteria, 'looks are fine but broad
      shoulders
      will keep you warm'), 'cos it's her job to dig, stack & turn the
      peats.

      If you've got a source of burning peat then use it to malt the
      barley, crush & use it to make the mash. However I see no reason why
      you
      can't cold smoke barley after it's been crushed. I've a home smoker &
      all you need to do is modify the baskets so that they will hold
      thinnish
      (2-3 cm) layers of crushed malted barley. You can then smoke using
      crumbled burning peat, from my experiments with brewing beer from
      smoked
      malt you don't need a lot of smoked malt to get a really smoky flavour
      to the beer (500g smoked malt to 3-4kg pale malt). It may be possible
      even use the peat available from non-PC garden centres but I suspect
      it
      will need to be dried out a bit before you use it. Being Scotland,
      getting a hold of peats is not a problem - northern friends normally
      don't raise too many objections to you 'borrowing' a couple of lumps
      of
      peat from their stack - especially when alcohol is involved. UK home-
      brew shops usually either stock or can get a hold of German smoked
      malt
      but it tends to be a bit pricey.

      The other possibility is preparing a peat flavouring (Yes
      Tony,
      I know that's what you wanted anyway but let me have my
      say ....... !!).
      Why can't a tincture be prepared the same way as Tassie Brian prepared
      oak chip flavouring - steep a quantity of peat in 95% alcohol for a
      few
      months, drain off & filter the resulting liquid ? Be warned though
      that
      dried peat absorbs a LOT of liquid, so the garden centre variety might
      be a better bet. Careful pot still re-distillation (as per essential
      oil
      extraction) should concentrate the flavour.

      A final possibility if you're just looking for a smoky flavour
      is to use a 'liquid smoke' flavouring. I've picked this up over the
      years from the BBQ section of US food stores & have only ever used it
      in
      cooking, however the CAMRA homebrewing H/B suggests using it if you
      can't get a hold of smoked malt @ 1-2 tsp per 5 gal brew. All mine
      seem
      to be a hickory smoke variety but there may be others available, maybe
      some of the US n.g. members could suggest suppliers and/or other
      varieties. Now applewood smoked whisk(e)y, that would be a challenge
      ..... I think ?

      Now, to help Tony with his spelling & general edification -
      Islay whiskies can be divided into two groups:

      The Small (as in lightly peated) Whiskies:

      Bunnahabhain (bunna-harv'n) 2ppm phenols
      Caol Ila (cole-eela)
      Bruichladdich (brew-ick-laddie) - distillery currently closed
      Port Ellen - distillery currently closed

      The Big (as in heavily peated) Whiskies:

      Bowmore 20-25 ppm phenols
      Laphroaig (la-froyg)
      Lagavulin (la-ga-voolin) 35 ppm phenols
      Ardbeg 50 ppm phenols - liquid magic !

      Just thought you'd all like to know.
      --
      Dick on the LangWang
      Applying 25 years naval engineering to free enterprise whisky