Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Imojochu (Sweet Potato Sochu)

Expand Messages
  • waljaco
    Imojochu is a Jpanese spirit distilled from sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes average about 22% starch and 5-6% sugar for a total of 27- 28% fermentable material
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2003
      Imojochu is a Jpanese spirit distilled from sweet potatoes. Sweet
      potatoes average about 22% starch and 5-6% sugar for a total of 27-
      28% fermentable material which makes them a better source than
      potatoes which contain 15-18% fermentable material.
      The actual production for imojochu involves 4 steps:
      1) Koji (inoculated rice) production -
      This requires about 40 hours, during which polished rice must be
      steamed and cooled, and koji-kin (Aspergillus oryzae) added.
      2) First fermentation -
      Water and yeast are added to the koji and the resulting mix is
      allowed to ferment for about 1 week.
      3) Second fermentation -
      The mash, now known as moromi, is combined with sweet potatoes
      (steamed, cooled, mashed) and water. This is fermented for 9-10 days.
      4) Distillation

      There is a potato/sweet potato recipe in 'Home-brewing of Sake'
      (http://olen.eng.ohio-state.edu/sake/Ch1.htm)
      I have scaled-up the recipe for 20 litres (5 US gals):

      Sweet Potato Mash
      12 kg sweet potatoes
      1.5 kg sugar
      15 cups of dry koji
      Yeast
      20 litres water

      Cook potatoes and mash.
      Add 1/3 water.
      Add 1/3 koji and stir.
      Allow koji to saccharify the starch.
      Add yeast.
      After day 4, add rest of ingredients.

      Wal
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.