Re: [Distillers] Essential oils?

  • Ted Palmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
      try this site
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: hurne@...
      Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 3:39 PM
      Subject: [Distillers] Essential oils?

      Hi,

      Does anybody know if you can use a still for extracting essential oils
      from, say, lavendar?

      I've read up a bit about it and you're supposed to pass steam through
      your ingredients, collect a mixture of oil and water in the
      time-honoured fashion and then separate the two.

      All well and good, but does this mean suspending a load of lavendar
      above some water in a metal seive type thing, or can you just bung it
      into the water and boil it all up?

      Has anyone got any experience with this before I start a few
      experiements?

      Kev.

    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
        Kev,

        You're right - there's not an abundance of information regarding the
        techniques used. But I've found a couple of photos on the way , showing the
        "cold fingers" used ....

        http://michiana.org/bizweb/Lebermuth/Doctor_P/still.htm (photo of still
        used)
        http://www.floragenics.com/basic.htm (still photo)