RE: [Distillers] Re: monitoring output quality of your still

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
      I remember seeing one in a catalogue sometime back. The basic principal was
      to use a hydrometer and measure it hight and convert this to a digital
      readout. I have often thought of using this principal as a form of reflux
      control. Eg Use a simple electronic circuit to sense were the hydrometer
      is and with this signal adjust the cooling water flow for the reflux
      condoner or something simpler would be to trip an alarm and to warn you that
      something had gone wrong and the output quality had fallen out of tolerance.

      Another solution ( This is possibly a bit far fetched)
      Use a small set of scales that has a know weight on one end and a container
      with a known volume on the other. The output could then be run into the
      container and as the % of water increase so the weight would increase (
      water = 1g/ml and ethanol 0.793 / ml) and the scales would move. This
      movement could then drive a potentiometer that could drive the readout or
      control device.