Help required !!

  • markdavid108@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
      Hello everyone,
      I have made myself a still and I have a little problem!
      The still itself works very well, I have managed to get 96% purity,
      but that is when I use it on the stove.
      I have got a portable 1600watt hot plate, but because of the
      thermostat, can not control the temperature.
      I hard wired the hot plate to bypass the thermostat and was able to
      control the temp at full boil....until the thermo fuse in the hot
      plate blew. This in itself is not a problem, I can replace the fuse,
      but I still can't use the hot plate.
      What I would like, and I know it has probably been decribed before,
      is plans for a variable power supply (0-240v) capable of suppling
      power to a 1600w hot plate.
      I have searched the net for plans and have found nothing usefull. I
      have seen a product for sale, ready to use, for $190. Ouch!!
      So could someone post or email me appropriate plans and info for such
      a device.
      I really don't want to use gas and naked flame, but I will have to if
      I can't resolve this hot plate problem.

      I hope someone can help me!
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
        >What I would like, and I know it has probably been decribed before,
        >is plans for a variable power supply (0-240v) capable of suppling
        >power to a 1600w hot plate.

        I've a couple of suggestions at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/control.htm
        You'd need to check with their authors as to if they're suitable for the
        rating you need.

        Tony
      • jwdob@planet.nl
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
          ----------------------cut here----------------------------

          > What I would like, and I know it has probably been decribed before,
          > is plans for a variable power supply (0-240v) capable of suppling
          > power to a 1600w hot plate.

          Hello Mark,

          Maybe the triac controller on my homepage is something for you.
          http://www.geocities.com/homedistilling/
          Look by the triac controller, it's capable of say 3200Watts if
          sufficient cooled.
          I use it for 1500W and it gets not even hand warm...

          I'm in the middle of a new homepage and then rhere will also be
          oscilloscope pictures included, so you can see what it does with your
          voltage :-)

          But this is still in the harddisk phase...

          Bye
        • Johno
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2001
            Gidday mate
            I too have a 1600 watter
            bloody thing never heats up    right?
            INSULATION.........the golden word
            . You cant add enough joules coz your loosing em thru the shell. Gas adds nearly twice the joules (heat value  check your gas bill)
            I wrapped my first one in a wool picnic blanket and insulated the column up to the first cooler.  Bingo  she boiled 30 minutes later. Dont forget to fold the insulation over the top and around the column. (heat rises)
            hope this helps

            Johno

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2001
              At the moment I am new.
              I used at the moment a TRIAC adjustment.
              Usefuul between 0-3000 watt, and kost about fl. 80,00 in Holland.

              Henk Alderliesten