still

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2000
      Hi there,

      I have just joined the list, after having had some interesting experience
      with another community: distillation@....
      Although home distilling is not legal in my country (the Netherlands) many
      of us do it as a hobby, including myself and a close friend of mine who also
      happens to be called Rob.
      I have attached a picture of our copper still on the request of Brian who
      runs the previously mentioned mailing list.
      Recently i have built a new reflux column, which i hope to use for the first
      time soon; it was built according to instructions found at:
      http://stillmaker.dreamhost.com/ but i modified the design using standard
      plumbing parts available to me here in the Netherlands.
      One of the first spirits i intend to make with the new column is slivovitz;
      i have 25 ltrs. of 16% plum wine waiting in my cellar to be distilled.
      I'll keep in touch,
      Rob

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Rob van Leuven
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14, 2000
        Hallo Kees-Jan,
        Ik las je e-mail aan Tony en reageer even direct op je vraag;
        Ik heb mijn huidige rvs stookketel gemaakt van een soeppan van de V&D (fl.
        39,=).
        Het deksel heb ik met siliconenkit (aquariumkit) op de pan vastgelijmd. Een
        vriend van me heeft een gat in het deksel geboord en daar een stalen bus op
        gelast, waarin weer een messing bus geschroefd is met teflon tape ertussen
        (zoals je bij waterleiding gebruikt).
        Mijn kolom heeft aan de onderzijde een 22mm. naar 3/4' dubbele koppeling,
        waarmee ik hem op de ketel schroef (zie foto, het rechtse deel zit nu op de
        ketel vast).
        Momenteel ben ik bezig een gebruikte close-in boiler tot ketel om te bouwen
        met dezelfde koppeling tussen kolom en ketel; het voordeel van een boiler
        is, dat het verwarmingselement er in zit.
        Ik haal met mijn 'stillmaker' still ca. 92-94%.
        Groeten
        Rob.
      • B Morey
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 3:12 AM
          From: "billy bob" <active_inertia@...>

          >Had a look at the still today and noticed that it is mounted ontop of
          a urn.
          How did you join the column to the urn as i bought a 20l one from an
          op
          shop?<

          With hindsight I would have made (or had made) a mild steel flange
          (say, 10mm steel), silver-soldered this to the column and the bolted
          the flange to the lid (with suitable holes and gasket). There would
          have been some flex as the lid was quite flexible

          I had an engineer try to silver solder the column directly to the
          lid -- it didn't work. Before the copper got hot enough to solder to
          the flame was burning holes through the lid and permanently distorting
          it. You're supposed to heat both parts separately and bring them
          together -- well-nigh impossible for a job like this.

          In the event the engineer made me a new lid from 2mm sheet copper and
          this works perfectly. This is a little flex but not enough to worry.,
          See new pic at "Concentrated Beer" --

          http://community.webshots.com/user/bmorey9
        • B Morey
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8 3:27 AM
            From: "B Morey" <bernardmorey@...>

            >In the event the engineer made me a new lid from 2mm sheet copper and
            this works perfectly. This is a little flex but not enough to worry.,
            See new pic at "Concentrated Beer" --

            http://community.webshots.com/user/bmorey9

            New pics aren't up yet - -give it a few hours.
          • alan palmer
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
              do you think it is ok to use a aluminum pressure cooker as my still  alan
            • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                should be fine. you may want to take out any plastic or rubber seals
                if possible. bung up any holes with food grade silicon or use
                crunched up aluminium foil. what is your condenser made of? it is
                more important than the boiler. check out the materials section on
                www.homedistiller.org

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "alan palmer" <aspalmer@t...>
                wrote:
                > do you think it is ok to use a aluminum pressure cooker as my
                still alan
              • BOKAKOB
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 20, 2003

                  I want to have a go at making this but would appreciate the exact position on the drawing to place the thermometer.
                  The thermometer is best located under the top plate and above the bottom plate. This way the thermometer measures vapor temperature at the very top of the process and avoids returning reflux to cool it and through off the temperature reading.

                  Have you made this one yourself or did you make the type with the reducer.
                  I made this one and a few more that I did not publish. All of them work fine.

                  I note also that some of your pictures show a return  pipe T 'd off the take of pipe returning alcohol to the column. Is this the final design or do you favor the method shown in the drawing which has an over flow return inside? This seems logical.
                  The reason for a return branch outside of the separator is that it was easier for me to manufacture. Another thing to consider is that the amount of �overflow� or �return� alcohol is better when kept to an absolute minimum. Those pools of hot alcohol on top of columns, I learned, do not help distillation process. The design with a �T� contains the volume of � piping only. The overflow without this arrangement may have larger volume of alcohol pool depending on construction of plates.

                  Did you end up double winding the condenser or is one layer sufficient?
                  I use the same coil as shown on the photographs. It is sufficient for my particular needs and the amount of the output volume. With this coil and level of heat under the boiler I can achieve maximum non‑refluxed output of about 1.7L per hour. With the reflux it is approximately 0.4L � 0.5L per hour.

                   Blue <blue24@...> wrote:

                  Gooday, I have seen your design for   Elliptical in-Line Overflow Vertical Condenser Head.PDF and have printed of the drawing you have provided.....

                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Zoran Vujcic
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Smudge
                    would you be so kind to send me your "controversy" still design?
                    Zoran
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2003

                      Smudge-- i'd like to have a picture or copy of what u are doing also-- seem to be really interesting

                      Blueflame456

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2003
                        While I havnt followed this thread 'verbatim',I believe I have read enough
                        to conclude that my still is very similar to the one Smudge has so gallantly
                        defended...mine works very,very well...only difference is,I dont really care
                        a 'fat-rats-ass' who believes it and who dont...:>)

                        >>Subject: Re: [Distillers] still
                        >Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 04:33:22 -0800 (PST)
                        >

                        >Smudge-- i'd like to have a picture or copy of what u are doing also-- seem
                        >to be really interesting
                        >Blueflame456
                        > Zoran Vujcic <zvujcic@...> wrote:Smudgewould you be so kind to send
                        >me your "controversy" still design?Zoran----- Original Message ----- From:
                        >smudge311065 To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003
                        >6:37 AMSubject: [Distillers] Re: Goats and other rubbish
                        >Hi Charlie,
                        >
                        >I'm damn sure I can control the output purity of my still by setting
                        >the output temperature - when I run my still I sit and watch it
                        >happen. It bothers me that people in this newsgroup have told me this
                        >is not physically possible.
                        >
                        >Last time I checked, science does not dictate to the world how it
                        >should behave. Science is just our feeble attempt to explain what we
                        >see. I have made a few feeble attempts to explain what I see. If you
                        >don't like them then that's fine - come up with a better one.
                        >
                        >You might prefer to just tell me I'm making the whole thing up. That
                        >way you won't need to think about it at all.
                        >
                        >Consider this an open invitation to anyone in this newsgroup to come
                        >over an examine my still in operation. If I'm making all this up I
                        >will soon be exposed and you can throw me out of the newsgroup.
                        >

                        >Smudge

                        ,

                      • homebrew2307
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 18, 2004
                          Hello
                          I have a question about my still,...what diameter tubing
                          should I use in my pot still??? It's 15 gallon US.....I
                          have a 3 gallon pot and I use 3\8 inch tubing....should
                          it be larger for the 15 gal. or is 3\8 inch OK?
                        • burrows206
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 25, 2005
                            Hi Rimfires,
                            I'm in Co.Fermanagh N. Ireland and I have a valved reflux still
                            just
                            recently finished. I think you have the right idea about crows and
                            the quiet subtle approach. (like a hammer to the beggers head) When
                            you see some of the stuff those boys eat, actually eating them I
                            agree
                            with you I'll give that one a pass
                            Geoff