monitoring output quality of your still

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2001
      People
      You may be interested in something that I built so that I could
      monitor the quality of the output from my still. The device basically takes
      the output from the condenser and runs it past a hydrometer. I built this
      from a 6" length of 3/4 copper tube with a 1" tube flanged down and silver
      soldered at the top. I then connected a piece of 3/16 copper tube to the
      bottom of the 3/4 copper (input) and at the other end silver soldered on a
      funnel I then connected another piece of 3/16 copper to the 1" copper tube
      that collects the overflow from the 3/4 tube (Output tube). This connection
      was a little difficult as the 3/16 tube will not fit in between the 3/4 and
      1" tube. To do this I drilled a small 1/8" hole into the side of the 1" tube
      and but welded it on. You could probably increase the 1" tube to 1.1/2" tube
      to make this easier The reason that the tube sizes are small is to ensure
      that the hydrometer can quickly follow any changes in output. A down side
      to the 3/4" tube is that if you have a high flow rate the hydrometer will
      give higher reading as flow of alcohol causes the hydrometer to rise. So if
      you are considering construction and you have high output rates you may need
      to increase the size of the tubes. This will of course decrease the
      sensitivity. I would also suggest to make sure that you hydrometer will fit
      inside of the 3/4" tube with some clearance for the output to flow past(My
      hydrometer is 1/2' diameter).

      <<Image4.jpg>> <<Image7.jpg>>

      I have shrunk these photo's down and will put the others up to the egroups
      site (output quality monitoring file directory).

      > Mark Bennett
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2001
        Hey it looks great ! Simple too.
        Just remember to correct the hydrometer reading for the higher temperature.

        Tony

        ps - great use of the "upload" facility to provide bigger pictures for those who want them.
      • physkid@raidersfan.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2001
          Awesome-
          I've been meaning to make something similar for a while now. I had
          envisioned mine out of glass, which is part of the reason it isn't
          made yet. I like the way you handled the overflow. Glad to hear it
          works, I will definitely pay atention to tube sizes and flow rates,
          and as Tony mentioned, temperature of the distallate. I think I'll go
          talk to my glass buddy right now in fact... :).

          -Andrew

        • tarvus@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
            Mark, this is really an ingenious device! My congratulations on your
            creativity in coming up with it! I've gotta build one myself!

            Tar

          • hurne@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
              --- In Distillers@y..., tarvus@m... wrote:
              > Mark, this is really an ingenious device! My congratulations on your
              > creativity in coming up with it! I've gotta build one myself!

              Likewise, I think it's a brilliant bit of kit!

              Stupid question (I'm never short of them):

              Is there such a thing as an electronic hydrometer?

              I'm expecting the answer to either be "no" or "yes but you'd have to
              mortgage a small country to buy one"...

              Kev.
            • Bennett, Mark E
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
                I remember seeing one in a catalogue sometime back. The basic principal was
                to use a hydrometer and measure it hight and convert this to a digital
                readout. I have often thought of using this principal as a form of reflux
                control. Eg Use a simple electronic circuit to sense were the hydrometer
                is and with this signal adjust the cooling water flow for the reflux
                condoner or something simpler would be to trip an alarm and to warn you that
                something had gone wrong and the output quality had fallen out of tolerance.

                Another solution ( This is possibly a bit far fetched)
                Use a small set of scales that has a know weight on one end and a container
                with a known volume on the other. The output could then be run into the
                container and as the % of water increase so the weight would increase (
                water = 1g/ml and ethanol 0.793 / ml) and the scales would move. This
                movement could then drive a potentiometer that could drive the readout or
                control device.