RE: [Distillers] Diluting Spirts

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
      Yep, you're right - its that easy.

      If you want to know how much water to add to dilute your alcohol down, just
      multiply the amount of spirits you have by (strong/weak) - 1

      eg: if you want to dilute 2L of 75% alcohol down to 40%, you will need to
      add 2 x ((75/40)-1) = 1.75L of water

      If you want to know how much alcohol to use to make a known quantity,
      multiply the final amount by (weak/strong)

      eg: to make 1.125L of 40% alcohol using spirit at 75%, you will need to use
      1.125 x (40/75) = 0.6L of the 75% spirit, then top it up to 1.125L using
      water.

      There's calculators to do these for you at :
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dilute.htm

      Tony
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 01:18:30AM -0000, Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS) wrote:
        > There's calculators to do these for you at :
        > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dilute.htm
        >
        > Tony

        Tony's calculators are great but I also would find it convenient to have a
        calculator that can quickly give a known volume-known final strength with
        two contributing variable strength sliders. e.g.: I want to make a 500ml
        of a 47% gin and I have "x" amount of 42% spirit and my flavoring liquid
        needs to be "y" strength if I add 10ml of it to make the final product and
        still hit that 47% target. know what i mean? ok maybe that's a bit wordy
        :-)

        and no it's worth the small expense: dilute with distilled water, you'll
        be much happier.

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • Ted Palmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
          The formula you are looking for is the 'mixing formula' Aa + Bb = Cc.
          _____________
          Ted Palmer
          tpalmer@...

        • rumrunner666@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2001
            Greetings!
            I live in a European country where its illegal to make moonshine. I
            also happen to live in an apartment with nosy neighbours... and every
            once in a while it starts to smell when I making some spirits...I
            just wanted to ask if anyone have any good ideas to solve this
            problem? I have been thinking of a good ventilationsystem with
            carbonfilters. Has any of you ever tried this or had success with any
            other method, please let me know!
            Thanks/Rumrunner
            Ps. Im always looking for new or old plans for stills...
          • Ted Palmer

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2001
                Re the smell. why dont you try an "Ozone" generater. A hydrponics supplier will be able to help you. Last price i am aware of was about $100.00 NZ. well worth it
                Pete