Diluting Spirts

  • desegan@bigpond.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
      I am just stating out and haven't fermented a batch yet (waiting for
      the cooler weather) but I have a question which is probably basic but
      I havn't seen any information on.

      When diluting your spirits is there a rule of thumb about how much
      water should be added. eg if I have 5L of distilled spirit at 70%alc,
      is it just a matter of adding an equal quantity of water to bring it
      down to half strength eg 35% and to a total quantiy of 10L? Or is it
      more complicated, needing monitoring after each addition of water
      with a spirit alcometer to achieve the target alc level.

      Also, is it better to use bought spring water rather than tap water
      which has additives such as chlorine, fluoride, etc, etc or would
      this be too fussy?
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        Yep, you're right - its that easy.

        If you want to know how much water to add to dilute your alcohol down, just
        multiply the amount of spirits you have by (strong/weak) - 1

        eg: if you want to dilute 2L of 75% alcohol down to 40%, you will need to
        add 2 x ((75/40)-1) = 1.75L of water

        If you want to know how much alcohol to use to make a known quantity,
        multiply the final amount by (weak/strong)

        eg: to make 1.125L of 40% alcohol using spirit at 75%, you will need to use
        1.125 x (40/75) = 0.6L of the 75% spirit, then top it up to 1.125L using
        water.

        There's calculators to do these for you at :
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dilute.htm

        Tony
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
          On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 01:18:30AM -0000, Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS) wrote:
          > There's calculators to do these for you at :
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dilute.htm
          >
          > Tony

          Tony's calculators are great but I also would find it convenient to have a
          calculator that can quickly give a known volume-known final strength with
          two contributing variable strength sliders. e.g.: I want to make a 500ml
          of a 47% gin and I have "x" amount of 42% spirit and my flavoring liquid
          needs to be "y" strength if I add 10ml of it to make the final product and
          still hit that 47% target. know what i mean? ok maybe that's a bit wordy
          :-)

          and no it's worth the small expense: dilute with distilled water, you'll
          be much happier.

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • Ted Palmer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
            The formula you are looking for is the 'mixing formula' Aa + Bb = Cc.
            _____________
            Ted Palmer
            tpalmer@...

          • rumrunner666@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2001
              Greetings!
              I live in a European country where its illegal to make moonshine. I
              also happen to live in an apartment with nosy neighbours... and every
              once in a while it starts to smell when I making some spirits...I
              just wanted to ask if anyone have any good ideas to solve this
              problem? I have been thinking of a good ventilationsystem with
              carbonfilters. Has any of you ever tried this or had success with any
              other method, please let me know!
              Thanks/Rumrunner
              Ps. Im always looking for new or old plans for stills...
            • Ted Palmer

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2001
                  Re the smell. why dont you try an "Ozone" generater. A hydrponics supplier will be able to help you. Last price i am aware of was about $100.00 NZ. well worth it
                  Pete