My first time

  • Denis Lemay
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hey everybody;

      This is my first time writing to you all.

      I've been making wine for about 20 years now and made all kinds of personal experience with this hobby.

      Wanting to expand myself in this field, 4 years ago, I got basic information on how to distill cheap wine or second-run wine made of water and sugar added to the remains of grape fermentation. I made a primative still by using copper coil for condensing and an old aluminum pressure cooker.

      I found out that I was making moonshine.

      Only since a year ago that I've been looking up on the internet and found the awesome topic of great interest. From all I limited myself to 3 books,
      -    Home Distillation Handbook   by Ola Norrman     5$ U.S.
      -    Building a Home Distillation Apparatus                FREE
      -    The Distillation of Alcohol
                      by John Stone and Michael Nixon      7.95$ U.S.

      Now at the same time last year I was checking every message going through distillers group. I've learned so much from you all and built my own fractional still out of a stainless steel milking container used for milking cows with a vacuum system, and stainless steel tubing for the column. Got help from dependable and discret friends, you must know here in Canada it is still considered illegal to seperate good ethanol alcohol from ordinary unworthy wine!

      Since then, I've made 2 batches and the first one was at 95% but because I was looking to get faster yield, on my second batch, unfortunately I got less pure result (85%), by opening the output valve too much!

      The reason for all of this is:

      -    It feel good to tell you about my experiences. (Having no     one to relate to about a topic of this nature).

      -    I feel that somewhere along, that a group of people with     the same interest is able to communicate and expand         their ideas, is of great significance.

      Great thanks to Distillers Group
      I hope I will not be the only one prasing the virtues of the group...

      Denis Lemay